NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

W/C 14th January

swamp thing

Well its crystal my way tonight, Jupiter out at dusk already and moon crescent beaming white. Going to try something new and take my Canon ixus camera out, zoom in max and see what it pictures. Its following the epic pic in the Jupiter Image section taken from that guys I phone, gotta be worth a try!

We meet up on Ranmore Common in the car park for our local sessions. We organise (hahaha) it on here normally an hour or two before we head off.

If your not sure where RC is let me know and I'll PM you the location :)

ps we do have another site at a pretty dark location but that's out of the county. We only head off there around new moon though.

That mush from Ewell astro has jinxed it I reckon. He asked me to text him nect time we were going up there. Since then its been cloudy for nigh on three months. I reckon he was an andient cloud god come to earth. If I see him again I'll impale him through the heart with the TAL :)

I guess Ranmore may be a favourite if it is a routine location to meet, but I do know of a couple of other places that will be 1) Pitch Black and 2) Devoid of activity / disturbance / noise.

One is up the road from me in the middle of army scrub land, and I have attached images of it below. It is south facing, and there are no street lights for a 3/4 mile radius.

The other is on the ranges themselves and evelated. It would take some walking along a firetrack to but you can't take vehicles inside there, you would have to park up at the entrance and walk for 5 mins to reach it. It's worth it though as you can see direct to the horizon (London is visible but too far for naked eye) and you have the same clearway of vision all the way from NE to SW. Totally isolated and undisturbed!

If anyone is interested I would be more than happy to direct - they really are amazing places to view the sky.

First one:

2nhffad.png

2m4tatd.png

The Ranges:

DSCI0091.jpg

DSCI0097.jpg

A 5 minute walk doesnt sound much unless you happen to be carrying near on 30 kilos of gear and in the dark too. That would make it a non starter for me. Sorry.

The other site might be good for folk over that way. I know the area, had a bike crash at Mytchet in my late teens. Still got a gammy knee from it.

Thanks for the heads up on the location. I used to live just up the road so know the area quite well.

I've tried Epsom downs, too much LP if you ask me, it's just too close to London, RC although not perfect is better.

I have a buddy that lives on the ranges at Bisley, TBH it's a bit far for a "local" site for me. It would take me almost as long to get there as our dark sky site which is darker.

Always good to have some options for people over that side of the county though. Nice to have some suggestions coming in thanks for that. :)

I've tried Epsom downs, too much LP if you ask me, it's just too close to London, RC although not perfect is better.

I have a buddy that lives on the ranges at Bisley, TBH it's a bit far for a "local" site for me. It would take me almost as long to get there as our dark sky site which is darker.

Always good to have some options for people over that side of the county though. Nice to have some suggestions coming in thanks for that. :)

No probs, just to add Bisley is around 2 miles from Gapemouth Road and will be much more light polluted. Gapemouth is part of a 5 mile route between Brookwood and Mytchett with has not a single house, streetlight or anything involving activity attached to it.

Think I know where that Grapemouth location, looks good. I sometimes drive back that way from Farnborough and always expect a tank to jump out on me!

If anybody is bemoning all this snow, it could be worse. I was one of those stranded due to the Heathrow cancellations yesterday. Got back on a 6am flight from Munich this morning, should have left at 3pm yesterday though :eek: We don't cope very well with a little snow here :laugh:

Tried Epsom Downs as well with bins and it was hopeless, massive light pollution plus people driving around non stop. It was one of the places I scouted when I set the group up.

There are darket sites near Ranmore but the problem with most of them is that they are either nigh on impossible for people to find. Less they know the area very well OR the car park is roo far from the site.

Archived