Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY ST4 CABLE

Singlin

I have the plugs and crimp. Just wanted to make sure that the wires will be compatible. My St4 flat cable snapped in the cold when bending it.

I will try a cat 5 and see if it is a bit more flexible.

Almost any cable that will go into the RJ-11 will do the job, there is very little current drawn by an ST-4 set up. The problem is PVC becomes very rigid at low temperatures and you really need to find a cable that uses another material that stays flexible at low temperatures.

Most RJ-45 Ethernet cables will suffer exactly the same problem as your original ST-4. There are various flexible cables out there, some of which stay flexible to -40C but they don't seem to be available from many places apart from industrial sources.

I have some ribbon Ethernet cables here which are very flexible even under low temperature, the problem though, you won't be able to terminate them on an RJ-11 plug. You could use an adapter (RJ-45 to RJ-11), but I guess this is all starting to get a little complex?

Archived