wheels / runners for roll off roof

red dwalf

hi all,

can anyone help me locate some decent wheels for my rool off roof obsy build,

i`m looking for wheels that are as small as possiable ideally about 3/4 to 1" in diameter.

been on the net google searching but can seem to find anything suitable.

many thanks

Rob

the reason for small wheels is that i wanted to keep the roof as low to the timber frame walls as possiable so that the gap is as small as possiable between the two, enough for ventilation but not too muich for the wind to get under it.

my obsy was a second hand one made up from skyshed instructions, i`ve taken it all apart and rebuilt it except the roof and the original wheels were small plastic ones which are now braking up so i`m looking for something simular but better quality to replace them.

heres a link to the build,

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/165469-robs-obsy-build/

looks a great idea, i think when the summer gets here i might try to re design the roof so it fits better, as i re built the walls when putting them up i did my very best to get it square, which it is, now the roof when shut is flush in one corner out about an inch gap at the other, very annoying

I use 4" rubber tyred wheels with roller bearings sandwiched between two pieces of 4"x1" (100mm x 25mm) timber with 12mm SS bolts as axles. The gap between the carriage and the running rails is less than an eighth of an inch (about 3mm). Shiplap on the south side overlaps by an inch or so to prevent wind driven rain (which we get plenty of) getting in. The north side has acrylic sheet to provide a window and that overlaps by 2". I get no wet coming in despite plenty of storm force winds and torrential rain.

As RAC said, if you can design it so that the roof sits down into a lower resting position when closed, maybe you could still have the smaller gap you want, but using larger diameter wheels. Larger wheels with rubber tyres definitely make for easier rolling.

Adrian

Fixed castors from B&Q (9 quid) running in galv steel cable trunking (1.50 for 2 metres) - nice one handed glide. Trunking is a bit flimsy unless nailed down well. If a high wind threatens to get under my very lightweight roof then I use turnbuckles (4) to hold it down. Once I can post photo's I shall, as I used the same for a new, clear acrylic roll-off (and with this snow I ain't getting out on the obs dormer roof to photograph it - its 22m up!)

N

Archived