NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Essential kit?

A book called Turn Left At Orion (TLAO) is essential :) After this a star atlas is also invaluable, I use the Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas but there's a few others that are just as good.

Also, you don't mention what scope you have, but if it's a non-goto model then I'd also say a Telrad is also essential.

Some kind of red LED light is rather essential too, I use a head mounted one so I've got both hands free.

Cold doesn't bother me at all, so I just wear normal clothes and a coat, so I can't comment on thermal undies lol. My mum always said I'd be too hot in a freezer :D

Skir, yes, I think it's prudent to have both.

TLAO is very good at describing the locations of the top 100 or so objects to view but it's just that, the top 100 or so. You'd need some other book to find anything else.

I can also recommend the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders but I class this as an intermediate book.

Depends how you define essential doesn't it?

I started with nothing but a Skyhawk 114 scope and supplied red Dot Finder / Eyepices that was fine for pointing at 'obvious' objects - planets and like. At that point I knew I loved it.

That kept me happy for one season, THEN I added things like TLAO ( and now you can get things like Stellaruim for PC / SKeye for phones for free or even just google things- what a boon for those starting now!) , a red light (nail varnish on a torch) etc.

So, I would truly ESSENTIAL to start is the scope. A red light will help immensely as will freebie information as above the other things you can add according to need and budget.

Philipw - Don't get put off thinking you NEED lots of extra's, if you can afford them at the start great it will be easier, if you can't don't hold back, get your scope and add them as you go along.

Skir, yes, I think it's prudent to have both.

TLAO is very good at describing the locations of the top 100 or so objects to view but it's just that, the top 100 or so. You'd need some other book to find anything else.

I can also recommend the Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders but I class this as an intermediate book.

Are the Phillips series of atlases the best to go for as a beginner or are there other better/equivalent options?

Thanks everyone, not put off at all, just want to make sure I'm prepared.

Have downloaded Stellarium, amazing! ALso a couple of apps on my Nexus 7 which was useful at the Baker St Astro meet on Weds.

I've not got a scope yet, on the brink of buying (dobsonian 200p 8" is in the lead at the moment).

The books I have are Collins Night Sky & Starfinder and Astronomy guide by Ian Ridpath. Oh and a book from 1817 that I found in an antique shop in Aldburgh on new years day.. :)

Archived