Atik Full Frame unboxing.

ollypenrice

THAT, as Mr Dundee would say, is a chip.

11%20meg%20chip-L.jpg

At the 450mm of our Tak FSQ85ED that gives us the Horse, Flame, Running Man and M42 in a single frame. I call it the OSM already. (One Shot Mosaic. :grin: ) Oversampled, yes, but we've tried Tom's 11 meg in the Baby Q and it looks fine. For widefield it's a killer. Here's what you get, courtesy of SkyMap Pro 11. WIdefield junkie heaven.

11%20MEG%20CHIP%20SKYMAP-L.jpg

This is our seventh Atik and I hope it'll be as excellent as the previous ones. I like the reliability, the powerful coolers, the superb software, the image quality and the service from Steve, Rui, Vince and all at Atik. Quick replies, straight answers, no messing. I had one cooler issue once and Rui turned it around literally overnight. Steve knows I'm an IT idiot but is very nice about it when I ask him questions...

So will it be clear tonight? Forecast is 'maybe.' I don't have a 2 inch wheel here yet but I can put a filter in a nosepiece (Ha I think) and see what the framing above looks like for real.

Darks and bias are all done and look remarkably clean. Thes big chips can look a bit like battlegrounds but this seems very pretty, not that it matters since darks will deal with the noise.

Exciting...

Olly

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That looks awesome. Would have the same effect as a black hole on my bank account, however, I am afraid. ;)

Looking forward to seeing first light results.

I couldn't do it if it weren't 'for work' myself, but what an excuse I have...

Olly

So with such a wide FoV, you'll be able to image the whole sky in not very many sessions - even imaging at several different colours / wavelengths.

Once you've "finished" astronomy, what will you do then?

So with such a wide FoV, you'll be able to image the whole sky in not very many sessions - even imaging at several different colours / wavelengths.

Heh heh, the sky's a big place...

Olly

That looks awesome. Would have the same effect as a black hole on my bank account, however, I am afraid. ;)

Looking forward to seeing first light results.

small change to you I heard :p

For a kick off he'll have to move to Oz and do the southern hemisphere too........

Yeah he paid 2k us for one and 500us for the other. They are two different grades. Ive had a look at them but no scope i have could use one allthough both my lenses could.

Archived