Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Image processing for dummies?

Aenima

Ok.

Have to admit defeat.

After spending hours on one image, failing to use levels, curves and layers properly, and getting lost in photoshop type editing, i'm now at a loss as to how to process my pictures after initial capture on my canon dslr.

Deep sky stacker is complex enough for me without more confusion when it comes to processing the results in photo-editor type software.

Really, I need a nice, simple program - hopefully not too expensive - that is more suitable for the beginner - I dont mind admitting it :) which is a little more specifically astro-based (as this is the only kind of images I need to edit).

There are a few I've heard of but never used, and I'm hoping anyone with similarly sparse tech skills - no offence - or just a preference for simple software can suggest any programs that might fit the bill.

I'd be grateful for any input,

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than another software package, perhaps what you need is a step by step sort of workflow.I don't know if you've seen this, but this is an excellent video walkthrough which takes you through many stages of processing a DSLR image in Photoshop. It's quite lengthy, so it's worth setting aside some time for it, but it's definitely worth giving it a go.

http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/dslr_llrgb_tutorial.php#Introduction

Hope this helps

Photoshop is a wonderful programme and does have its own logic. Honestly, it isn't that hard to learn it.

This introduction by Rob Hodgkinson is very well thought out and painless. http://www.middlehillobservatory.co.uk/

Anna Morris, another skilled imager, has put some videos online here. http://www.eprisephoto.com/videos

The number one thing to grasp is the levels and curves routine.

I haven't read this book but it is well known and sounds promising; http://www.willbell.com/ccd/photoshop_astronomy.htm

However, without any doubt at all the best way to learn is one to one from someone competent. That's how I got going and it's how I operate myself with guests. I dare say you could find an SGLer near you to help with a session or two. Or a local astronomical society. (Google Federation of Astronomical Societies for a list.) I must say that watching Anna's videos just now brought home the fact that in Photoshop there are many ways to go about a task and many new tools to discover. I doubt that anyone knows all that there is to know about it but you don't need to!

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

Thanks guys,

Cheers Olly, lots of helpful stuff there. Truthfully, I dont want to completely give up on photoshop style editing - its a powerful program - its just it often takes me hours to figure out certain features and sometimes the many small adjustments leave the image no better off, just different. As my eyes get used to staring at the screen and I forget what the original looked like.

Mostly I want to do the usual stuff to the images, just without going the long scenic route getting lost along the way.

Regards

Aenima

Wow, folks, thank you.

Now glad I looked into this subject a bit further, I was missing quite a bit.

That 'my astronomy journal' site that has the processing walkthroughs is amazing! I had no idea how much data can be stretched, and the dude really explained his steps well.

I'm off to try the levels and curves again - this time, properly :D

This link I found very helpful, http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dslr_astro_image_processing/join

ps. how do I get some of the gradient and deepsky dedicated plugins?

Many thanks for the links,

Regards

Aenima

ps. how do I get some of the gradient and deepsky dedicated plugins?

The most obvious is Gradient eXterminator http://www.rc-astro.com/resources/GradientXTerminator/

Astronomy Tools http://www.prodigitalsoftware.com/Astronomy_Tools_For_Full_Version.html

Anna Morris' Astro Actions http://www.eprisephoto.com/

Hasta La Vista Green http://blog.deepskycolors.com/tools.html

Hope this helps

Watching the andromeda image leap out from the screen was quite a revelation, that second 'challenge' walkthrough was great. Its a yahoo group if anyone else needs to polish up their processing and very much one to check out.

My main program is serif photoplus 10 - from sky at night magazine Jan 2012 - and its taken me this long to appreciate it. :)

Thanks again

I was looking at something like 'nebulosity' and another astro-dedicated one, which isnt free but with the simple interfaces with buttons that say eg. round stars, clean noise or remove gradient its pretty tempting to save up for something like that.

Aenima

As my eyes get used to staring at the screen and I forget what the original looked like.

I can understand this being an issue but there is a simple solution. Every time you start a new step, produce a duplicate layer - this way you can quickly go back and view an earlier version (layer) and switch between this and the latest version by simply turning the relevant layers 'on' or 'off'. Layers are a key feature of PhotoShop.

You could use a program like StarToolsor PixInsight. They're tailored specifically towards astrophotography and the learning curve isn't as steep as PS.

Ah, that was the other one - couldnt think of the name - pixinsight - but heard good things about it. One of the programs that will be worth saving up to buy.

Cheers redneon,

Aenima

Man, its a lot to catch up on - much reading and tutorial watching to do - though i'm sure its gonna be worth the effort. From what i've seen so far there is much more data hidden in my RAW files than I first thought, and now my images will be slightly better for each new thing I learn. ;)

Cheers folks!

Regards

Aenima

You could use a program like StarToolsor PixInsight. They're tailored specifically towards astrophotography and the learning curve isn't as steep as PS.

:eek: ?????? :eek:Surely you're joking, Mr Feynman?

Most people find climbing the Pixinsight learning curve a bit like climbing the North Wall of the Eiger in boxing gloves and roller skates. I know I do. I think it's the most inarticulate, autistic and unfathomable software I've ever encountered. I don't say it isn't powerful because it patently is, and it's quite brilliant, especially if you happen to be quite brilliant yourself. But it is a nightmare to understand and has no manual. You need Harry's tutorials etc but Ps is analogous with manual artwork and is written by people who know how to communicate. Both are complicated but Pixinsight is unpardonably obscure. I love it, I use it, but its user interface is a diabolical mess. It could be so much better.

Ps has Layers and layers pave the road to heaven.

Olly

:eek: ?????? :eek:Surely you're joking, Mr Feynman?

Most people find climbing the Pixinsight learning curve a bit like climbing the North Wall of the Eiger in boxing gloves and roller skates. I know I do. I think it's the most inarticulate, autistic and unfathomable software I've ever encountered. I don't say it isn't powerful because it patently is, and it's quite brilliant, especially if you happen to be quite brilliant yourself. But it is a nightmare to understand and has no manual. You need Harry's tutorials etc but Ps is analogous with manual artwork and is written by people who know how to communicate. Both are complicated but Pixinsight is unpardonably obscure. I love it, I use it, but its user interface is a diabolical mess. It could be so much better.

Ps has Layers and layers pave the road to heaven.

Olly

Ok, bad advice with PixInsight, then :) Apologies.

I haven't actually used it. I only mentioned it as I know StarTools is supposed to be easy to pick up and it's a competitor to PixInsight.

i think what ever processing prgamme you use there is always going to be an element of "lurning curve" i use deep sky stacker and gimp for deep sky stuff and registax for planets folloed gy gimp again to construct the rgb images.all the programmes seem reasonably easy now to use, but i am sure i am missing a few tricks when using them.but thats all part of the fun, especially when you can look back at the progress you have made over a period of time.

Ok, bad advice with PixInsight, then :) Apologies.

I haven't actually used it. I only mentioned it as I know StarTools is supposed to be easy to pick up and it's a competitor to PixInsight.

No, not bad advice other than with regard to its accessibility. It's a superb programme and without it I couldn't function. But it is surely not easier than Ps. I don't know if you agree, Sam? Maybe it just doesn't speak my language but having no manual is not serious to people of my generation. Many of us don't do 'intuitive...' My tirade was intended to be humorous - up to a point!!!

Olly

Can I just suggest applying a small 'brake' to proceedings here? There are without doubt some fantastic plug-ins for PhotoShop and I regularly use several myself but resist the temptation to get these up and running right now until you have mastered the basics - Levels, Curves, Layers and Colour Management. All your astro images will require careful use of these four tools whereas the plugins will be more image specific and can come later as can the myriad of other tools that PhotoShop has hidden up its numerous sleeves.

Archived