Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good fisheye lens?

george7378

I am happy with my Sigma 4.5mm f2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye Lens - Canon Fit

It lets you get the whole horizon in view on Crop Sensors. Not cheap though. I have not tried it at night yet as I haven't seen the sky this year! (2012 that is) Can't wait to try it in a dark field somewhere/somewhen.

+1 for the samyang, google for comparisons between the this and the competition and IMHO this is overall the best value value for money, you'll need to stop it down to about f/8 or more to control the nasties at the edge of the field on your night shots and because the FOV is so large you will need a clip filter to control light pollution on the horizon, it's great fun for interesting perspective shots in daylight.

+1 for the samyang, google for comparisons between the this and the competition and IMHO this is overall the best value value for money, you'll need to stop it down to about f/8 or more to control the nasties at the edge of the field on your night shots and because the FOV is so large you will need a clip filter to control light pollution on the horizon, it's great fun for interesting perspective shots in daylight.

You'll find that all fisheye's will need some stopping down to some degree for astro work to control lens aberations and field illumination. Start at F4 and see what that gives at the edges.

With a fisheye you'll also notice the variation in sky brightness across the frame even in the darkest sky sites- the horizon is always brighter due to natural airglow and any distant light sources. Vignetting or even field illumunination is also going to be an issue with fisheyes. Still some creative landscapes & perspectives are possible. I use the Sigma 10-20mm zoom but I would like to upgrade to the Nikon 10mmED at some point since 90% of the time I use the 10mm end of the zoom and fixed lenses are invariably better than zooms.

Milky Way through a Sigma 10-20mm zoom (shot at F5.6, 10mm end) note the green airglow band along the horizon.

SummerMilkyWayDylife1.jpg

Archived