NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear next week?

kirkster501

Anyone up for a game of Spot the UK on sat24.com?

post-2875-0-10067900-1357139089_thumb.jp

I did manage to get some viewing in last night. I wasn't sure it would be clear, so popped our low-hassle solid tube dob out.

It was patchy, but so nice to see some DSOs again. M81 and M82 were looking decent despite the nearly full moon. I caught the red spot on Jupiter and a moon transit. It was great to see some globular clusters again, especially M13. And I really enjoyed looking at the moon and starting to learn the names of a few features.

Best of all, I was really chuffed to see Saturn in the wee hours for the first time this season.

Happy New Year everyone, and may you get some well deserved clear skies near you soon!

Cheers,

Luke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking pretty much the same thing earlier :) I'm not entirely sure that sunrise happened today.

James

it happened, just not in the uk :kiss: its looking like next tuesday up here for any clear spell but the forecast has been wrong before

Really starting to get silly now. Its prime observing season and I have not had my scopes out properly since 7th December !!!!! I had one hour xmas day at teatime for visual on Jupiter then it clouded over. Lots of 15 min spells of clear sky but always clouding over again with the threat of rain so Impossible to set up in such conditions. Large binoculars starting to look very attractive to me....!

Apart from getting about an hour out with the scope on christmas day, the last decent session i had was in october due to having an operation on my knee, i missed a good couple of weeks of clear skies in november through this, and now that im on the mend the bad weather is back and its driving me mad, if i had a pound for everytime i looked through the window or out the back door and saw nothing but gloom i'd be a millionaire.

i just hope that the weather improves soon

I'm checking Met Office every. single. day. at the moment and it's just adding to my depression.

The first day I look at the five day forecast on the map and see "moons" all over the midlands area I'm going to be excited. I swear to god the other day I saw those moons in my dreams. Anyone who uses the site for forecasting will know what I'm talking about.

Archived