Any ideas?

Hello all. Had my scope nearly a month and have only been able to use it once due to the weather. Just wondered what you all do in times like these to stop going mad and buying stuff ( eyepieces ect)! Do you research upcoming targets, plan viewing sessions, or read ( I have a copy of Tlao, but that's for in the field). Just wondered asi am close to pulling my hair out!!! Happy new year

Well, I position my telescope near the window and whenever there's a brief clear sky I use it. In the past week I managed to have a good look at the moon and Jupiter - no so much for deep space though due to thin clouds. Often that doesn't last for long. You don't want all the hassle of moving everything out, say in your garden, as the sky clears out, and then before you know it's overcast again. Once I'm sure it's going to be a clear night I take my telescope out in the garden -- I guess next week will be a better weather...well, colder...but at least less clouds.

It's good to watch some documentaries about astronomy as well as read about the topic. Not only do they expand your knowledge, but also fire up your enthusiasm for sky gazing. I wouldn't recommend keep checking accessories out. They're almost endless and you'll always seek more and more...even though you won't need most of them. I had this in the beginning, spent days looking at eyepieces and other accessories, but eventually decided to settle down for a set of Plossls and use them up.

Good luck with your hobby, and happy new year!

One idea is maybe get a pair of binos literally a quick grab and go and it's surprising what you can see if a pair iv been to a site with a gang of the South Wales crew and it was so many stars we just used binoculars all night and left our scopes to one side.

Otherwise there's also the astro program's stellerium (for research) or if ur into AP there's the lost secret images of Hubble where you can download hobbles direct files from a NASA site and play. Round with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so please ignore any spelling doodaaas I may make

You do not have to suffer the cloud and rain we have been having to see the night sky, I first bought a copy of The Cambridge Photographic Star Atlas more on a whim than for a definite purpose, but I am pleased I did. Used in conjunction with a good star atlas it is fascinating to work your way around areas of the sky you want to observe, you can pick out the many asterisms which will appear in your finderscope/main scope, a good aid to star hopping for those who do not have or use GOTO. The atlas is digitally Photographed from totally dark sites and is reproduced at a scale of 1cm to a degree for each of the major Constellations in the Northern Hemisphere, on one page you have the digitised coloured image, on the opposite page the same image of the section of sky reproduced in black and white, upon which has been marked relevant Astronomical information. There is an earlier book and I now have this also, it is also based on the same theme, a bit pricey, but a copy can be had quite cheaply if you keep your eyes open :)

John.

Bins are a great idea, for those all too rare breaks in the cloud. Tonight in my corner of the world we may get a few breaks in the cloud, but the intensity of the showers persuades me not to bother getting the scope out. It'll be bins again tonight ..... and fireworks I suppose! :)

Staring at Stellarium and pretending! Books can be a very useful tool to help you stay focused on astronomy and it all adds to the memory bank for when the real observing time comes. +1 for John's suggested photographic Atlas and I'm currently working through a book on the history of the Messier objects.

James

P.S The virgin idea appealed to me too Jules but there aren't any in Bristol either! :grin: :grin:

Archived