NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help The Aged!

Took my dobs 200 out for the first time last night - never having seriously looked through a scope other than those at the seaside looking out to the ocean. Before the cloudcover sent me indoors, my 60+ year old body (with what feels sometimes like 70 year old bones) was struggling to get itself in a comfortable position to look through the finderscope! Is there an easier way of trying to find your intended target?

right angled finder scope or a web cam mounted to dob connected to pc , also a box for the dob to sit on [about 18" -2 foot high saves the back from bending to low] and makes the viewing at high levels easier as well

Another 60+ "oldie" here :biggrin: . I have a knackered back (rugby, caving) and find bending literally a pain. My solution for the Dob has been a height-adjustable observing chair. Expensive for what they are, but cheap when I consider the massively improved observing comfort. I use a Telrad to get me into the right area of sky, and I have a right-angled finder for when I need to navigate non-naked-eye star fields. I need to lean to use the Telrad, but bending is now a thing of the past, unless I choose to do it.

The chair also goes low enough for the primary mirror collimation tweaks on Polaris at the beginning of a session.

Archived