Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light with my new Mammut mono CCD

davesparx

These are my first images, taken hurriedly with my new mammut mono last night. I have used a filter wheel with just the IR cut filter...

I tried to start using the RGB (QHY) filters but as soon as I got to the Green filter, it all started to go out of focus. When I moved back to the IR cut (L) filter, it was back in focus again...Is this normal?

I was using my brand new ED80 as well :)

I've only added the mono images as the blurry ones screwed up the stacking....post-19599-0-04704800-1356861919_thumb.jpost-19599-0-89011900-1356861894_thumb.j

Parfocal filters should minimise any refocusing to almost nil (ie not that you'd notice unless you're doing something more extreme).

Very nice set of images - a little movement (alignment) and a possibly using a shorter exposure for reconstructing the saturated stars could help.

Thanks, guys. I can see that there's quite a bit to this...This CCD is a great tool for learning and way better than my old SPC900. I am just trying not to spend any more money on the hobby this month. I've never known anything like it....There should be a financial health warning on the hobby...

Dave

Thanks, guys. I can see that there's quite a bit to this...This CCD is a great tool for learning and way better than my old SPC900. I am just trying not to spend any more money on the hobby this month. I've never known anything like it....There should be a financial health warning on the hobby...

Dave

Very true! Once you get bitten by the AP bug you will never again have any spare cash! :D

have a look at the link in my sig theres a NGC section ive only done 2 images with the mammut but its great for picking up the faint fuzzys, im using mine as a guider and when i feel like it to image NGC galxys, your image looks a bit noisy did you have the cooling on?

Hi there, Daniel

I didn't have the cooling on. There was only a window of a couple of hours and so I thought I'd start without and then work up to it. I had actually taken no darks or flats, either. These are just raw images..I took 8*20s subs for M82 and 3*50s subs for M81. No darks or flats for either :)

You use the 450D for the main camera and then just guide with the mammut? Perhaps I should get a DSLR rather than a big ATIK?

Dave

if i was getting a CCD i would go for a one shot color as with living with in the uk the weather we get limits us to the amount of time we get to image thats why i have a DSLR at the moment till i save enough to get a one shot color CCD. if it was mono just think how long it would take to get all that data for one picture!! :eek: just my opinion, the two pictures on my website are just single 500 sec subs, i would be interested to see how you get on with the cooling as im waiting for a replacement as my CCD fogs up on my mammut at anything below ambient

Oh, that's interesting. So perhaps something like a QHY8L or an Atik314L+? I wasn't sure which way to go, CCD or DSLR. That's the same for most people, it seems :) Your gallery pics are very impressive, by the way. I will let you know how I get on with the cooling.

You don't think that, after getting a one shot colour, you'll start craving for a mono with a desire for higher resolution? :)

as long as im taking images im happy :) dont get me wrong the images produced by mono are great but you can get very good results from OSC, its the filters that would do my head in just doesnt appeal to me. ( yet lol ) theres pros and cons for both i would get an atik though they have a good reputation for quality and ready to use out the box.

Nice start. To avoid focus issues with filters they need to be parfocal as mentioned above.

For me I've already resolved to go mono when I get a CCD. I've decided that narrowband interests me and given the proportion of clear nights that coincide with a full moon (well, that's my perception anyway) I still want to be able to image. Sure using filters can be a pain and it adds more to the whole process, but for me you also get more out.

For filters and focus issues - the ED80 is not a bad little scope and as the light is collected the objective is doing it's best to bring all the visible wavelengths to focus at the same point (on you camera chip!). However, it won't do this perfectly for each wavelength and so you'll need to make a mental note of which filter is affected to what degree and be ready to adjust focus accordingly.

Transient things can give this appearance too so don't be caught out - varying degrees of cloud cover, dew forming on a filter, is the filter screwed into the filter wheel threads correctly and so sat at right angles to the optical train, is the filter loose in its housing, is there condensation on the camera window. Not saying they happen commonly or with every set-up but it is nice to familiarise yourself with a set of provisional diagnoses so you can troubleshoot.

Nice first captures especially with time pressures!

Ah, now you may have hit the nail on the head...I'll just check that the filters are all tight in the filter wheel!! That may well be the problem....

It is the first time that I've used it and I bought it from ebay.... I did check the filters but I'm not sure that they were tight in their threads....

Cheers, Ant

how u getting on dave? nice start mate!! i love reading threads like this for when im ready to go CCD (about 2 years :( ) but for me i think id prefer a one shot CCD tbh, it will be a huge step from my dslr and spc900, a mono would just be too much faffing about for a beginner like me lol, i will learn the skills needed from the OSC and if/when my brain has got round the OSC then and only then i would think about going mono, just my 2 pence worth lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived