Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Samyang 500mm Lens anyone use these kind

Ewan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there an agenda against Sony here. I am trying to type Donkey as in Sony Alpha 55.

Not against Sony, no. There is a filter for rude words that once in a while behaves in a less-than-desirably brain-damaged way. I guess if you type "A", "5", "5" it decides you're trying to make an offensive reference to someone's gluteous maximus.

James

This might look very confusing to an outsider but it appears that if I try to mention a Sony Alpha Single Lens Translucent Model 55 - in its abreviated form - this forum converts it to Donkey - why??

Ok, I get it now. Maybe that's why the aforementioned model is no longer in production and the current models are A65 and A77.

Yes indeed! SGL has the power of life and death over all consumer electronics! :D

James

If you start a new post you should get a "more reply options" at the bottom. Click on that and you'll see a post preview window with an edit area below it. Beneath that should be an "upload images" dialogue. Does that help at all?

James

That's not too bad at all in the central region, is it? The distortion of the stars (coma?) is fairly hideous towards the edges of the frame though.

James

I sort of assumed that was a limitation of lens itself. It is a universal lens which I am guessing was designed for the APS-C format and the exit diameter of the primary mirror is probably only cut for the height of the sensor which would give a square in the centre of the frame. That coma is not visible in normal daylight photos so I am thinking that point sources like stars are being bent around the edge of the exit hole.

I really am grabbing at straws but it sounds like a logical explanation. I would hope, however, that there is another explanation - some common aberration that could be fixed either mechanically or in post processing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update the thread.

I didnt opt fot the Sammy (for now) but went the other way entirely & got an Asahi Opt Co Japanese SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm lens for widefield, tested on my 600D using an adapter (K mount i think), wide open @ 2 i was getting bad coma on all outer stars & centre was spot on, reduced to 2.8 & gthings were very good, the wide test shots looked good & im very happy with its performance, not bad for £12

The Asahi SMC lenses are very good I've found. I have several of various focal lengths but only used the 200mm f4 so far. That gives a flat field with good stars right out to the corners of an ASP-C sensor at full aperture.

Seems like a real bargain for around £100, and fast with it! but for that money you could buy a mint second user Russian MTO 500 F8. Not as fast but it comes in a fitted case with a stash of filters plus it's optical quality is second to none, AND IT'S BUILT LIKE A SWISS WATCH!!!

post-28823-0-06277500-1360889525.jpg

post-28823-0-82515500-1360890050.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just to keep this old thread ticking along ... here's another moon shot I took the other night with the dumpy little Samyang 500mm (f/6.3 version)...

Moon-2013-04-20.jpg

EOS 60D with Samyang 500mm mirror lens

10 x 1/160s @ ISO 200

Pre-processed in PIPP to crop, then stacked in AutoStakkert2

Thanks,

Mike

Just to keep this old thread ticking along ... here's another moon shot I took the other night with the dumpy little Samyang 500mm (f/6.3 version)...

Moon-2013-04-20.jpg

EOS 60D with Samyang 500mm mirror lens

10 x 1/160s @ ISO 200

Pre-processed in PIPP to crop, then stacked in AutoStakkert2

Thanks,

Mike

Nice one Mike, i still havn't bought one yet, iv'e been on the fence so long now i've rooted :-)

Saving up for a new Triplet now.

• 2 years later...

Archived