NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Samyang 500mm Lens anyone use these kind

Ewan

Hi all, i was just browsing for a new lens for my Canon & came across this Samyang 500mm MC IF f/6.3 Mirror Lens, it should fit my camera using my T adapter + ring which i have already, it should be the equiv of 800mm on my Canon.

Here's the link if anyone would like to take a look & advise for & against http://www.samyang-lens.co.uk/samyang-500mm-f63-mc-if-mirror-lens.html

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People have got some stunning images from these/similar mirror lenses. Apparently very hard to do though.

I tossed it up for about a month and ended up going with a Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 (from memory) APO DG HSM (Bigma)

Glad I did.

I posted a lunar image in my Getting Started (AP) Post, was shot with the Bigma, 2 of 1.4x Kenko TC's and Canon EOSM.

Thanks lads i think i'll do some more homework, i too have seen some stunning shots with these as well, some minor complaints about some lack of contrast if you start going too mad though.

I have the Samyang 500mm f/6.3 mirror lens, and have been discussing such lenses in another thread here...

Here's a picture of the moon I took with the 500mm mirror lens on Xmas day - for the relatively low outlay (I got mine for £80 off eBay) I think they're worth the money... and don't believe the people who say they're no good ... they've obviously never tried one for themselves :wink:

XmasMoon.jpg

Mike

Cheers Mike, i agree the outlay is not massive like £500 + so that's what got me interested, although quality is not normally cheap which is why i posted but i am still interested tbh.

It would be great if anyone has attempted any DSO work with one of these & post a pic maybe ?

I saw a few on FleaBay as well so im still in 2 minds but either way i think it would be a sound purchase imo even if i used it for everyday photography instead :-)

I have the 800mm version and I'm itching to try it out when I get clear patch of sky. If its fairly cheap them it might be worth a punt. Just remember it won't be all that sharp and mirror lenses can produce some 'weird' or unusual bokeh.

Isn't the 800mm f8 Lee ?, i was wondering either the 500mm @ f6.3 or the 800mm @ f/8.0 i appreciate the difference is a couple of stops but do you go faster or more reach ? hm choices choices

Isn't the 800mm f8 Lee ?, i was wondering either the 500mm @ f6.3 or the 800mm @ f/8.0 i appreciate the difference is a couple of stops but do you go faster or more reach ? hm choices choices

ah yeah, you are right, my bad.

It is a tough choice, for me my D7000 performs so well at higher ISOs I opted for the 'slower' lens. Although I've still yet to try it out in anger.

I must admit I'm trying to find a suitable way to mount the set up as the lens has no tripod thread and its a rather weighty lump to hang but just the camera.

I've only done one DSO using the Samyang 500mm f/6.3 lens - Orion Nebula. Only managed 11x 5 second subs as it was mounted on a static tripod (and no darks or flats).... but I think with a decent tracking mount and longer subs there's definite potential with this lens.

processed1.jpg

Mike

The weight issue shouldn't be a problem as the 500mm f/6.3 is only 705g, a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM is 705g with no tripod ring either so i was hoping it wouldn't be a problem.

I have noticed though some have DX, MC or MC IF & ED on them any ideas what these stand for ? or just marketing gimics ?

I've only done one DSO using the Samyang 500mm f/6.3 lens - Orion Nebula. Only managed 11x 5 second subs as it was mounted on a static tripod (and no darks or flats).... but I think with a decent tracking mount and longer subs there's definite potential with this lens.

processed1.jpg

Mike

Cheers Mike, maybe an LP filter at the Camera end might be needed as well then, but not bad imo

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to contribute to this discussion as I bought a Samyang 800mm f8 lens a couple of months ago. Right now M42, Orion Nebula is high in the sky and is a perfect object for imaging. The down side is that the summer weather here in Australia has been atrocious for astronomical work. About 4 nights a month. Anyways, I have got a Skywatcher EQ3-2 equatorial mount with dual axis motor drives which cost me $AU 600, the aforementioned Samyang 800mm f8 mirror lens for $AU 226 and a Sony SLT-Donkey. I use a cable remote timer controller that I picked up from eBay for $17. And I installed a Seben Nebula LPS filter.

Although far from perfect, I am pleased with the results I have got. The lens exhibits some quite major aberrations outside the square central area which I attribute to the design of the lens but overall I would have to say that the $226 telescope is doing quite a commendable job considering that I am imaging from a very light polluted site. This setup has the advantage that because it is light it is not taxing the right ascension drive allowing reasonable sub-exposures of 120 seconds.

I am new to this site. My previous post got a little mangled somehow. When I typed in Sony SLT-Donkey it came out as SLT-Donkey??? And I tried to include my image of M42 but it got substituted with an odd URL

Could somebody enlighten me on what I am doing wrong?

Archived