SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TAL 100RS or Evostar 120 ... that age-old discussion

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Takes us back to the OP's original conundrum - the Evostar 120 is £240 which includes tube rings, 2" diagonal, 50mm finder, tube rings, etc, etc. Deduct reasonable amounts for the supplied accessories:

Diagonal: say £50

Eyepieces: say £20 for two

Finder: say £45

Tube Rings: say £21

Dovetail Bar: say £15

Total: £151

Hey, the scopes just £89 :smiley:

It's not made in Russia though ..... :sad:

Ay, so it is, Andy. The photos included on page 1 of this topic include all the bits I got with that Tal minus the dove tail which came when I brought the AZ 4.

Oh nice pics, Qualia. Didn't notice them the first time I read through this thread. Must be my age catching up :grin:

Takes us back to the OP's original conundrum - the Evostar 120 is £240 which includes tube rings, 2" diagonal, 50mm finder, tube rings, etc, etc. Deduct reasonable amounts for the supplied accessories:

I would actually buy one of these 120`s (another) but i feel it would suffer spherical abberation . Maybe the old blue tube one i had was a poor quality one

We are really lucky to live in times when we have so much choice between what are all really good telescopes :)

My eye had drifted from this thread but I have now returned to it... and the avalanche of information concerning the nitty gritty regarding the cost of the OTA itself and the included attachments. I am amazed - I had not looked at cost break down this way and it is not irrelevant at all!

The Lyra 4" f/11 is something I can afford, but the TAL and Evostar both come in so much better value in terms of price per performance I will really have to consider hard the rational about immediately jumping to the premium cost of a Lyra. If the TAL was a piece of equipment that the community here tutted over and suggested it would harm nurturing enthusiasm for the hobby, then it would certainly be a no-brainer to avoid it. But the general mood is quite the converse...

Are all the extras that come with the TAL or Evostar compatible with the Lyra?

Hmmm

Thanks for your continued discussion within this thread. The evolution of ideas and mulling over of perspectives has been most illuminating!

All the best,

Tony, i think the extra`s from the evostar would fit the lyra i.e the finder scope and the diagonal, the finder from the tal would not fit the lyra, with out a little modification.

For what its worth if you bought the Tal, i feel you would be more than happy with its performance, i have owned my Tal for 2 years and it has more than fulfilled its role, i really would like a Lyra f11 mainly because i am a refractor fan, and i like the very best, but the Tal is such a close second

Thanks Jules,

I am really beginning to see that the TAL 100RS is the one I should go for.

In a way I have gone full circle, because that is what I was thinking seriously about when I started my investigations.

But I am so much wiser after all the discussions and research I have been through.

And many thanks to all those here in the SGL community who so freely and generously share your knowledge and insights.

Now I have to start thinking logistics... how to get the TAL here in Norway, or to Norway.

I have been in contact with FLO and that is an option, but I might look into German retailers too. It all depends on convenience getting it here and shipping costs.

In Norway the nights tend to clear up from mid-January, so I'd like to think about getting some early spring observations through to the end of April when the longer days makes decent late night observation a challenge.

Cheers and "God Jul" (literally "Good Yuletide" as they say here in Norway :grin:

Hiya Tony,

Thank you for your own excellent contributions and insights! I hope the above letter doesn't imply that you won't be sticking around SGL, getting involved and chatting along on the boards. It would be a real shame if you were to go and I for one would miss your intelligent and jovial company.

If we don't natter before Christmas, you have yourself a sound one and peace and love to you and your family.

Rob

Are all the extras that come with the TAL or Evostar compatible with the Lyra?

(Nightfisher) .........the finder from the tal would not fit the lyra, with out a little modification.

Jules is correct that the Tal finder bracket, wouldn't fit the Lyra tube, but the actual 6x30 finder itself should fit in the Lyra's supplied finder bracket. I had a William Optics finder bracket (which is similar to the Lyra one) and it fitted fine. I used to use it on my Carton 60/1000.

3754507137_aebeccbd87.jpg

Andy

Hi Qualia/Rob,

I appreciate your kind words, and don't worry, I have no intention of leaving SGL.

There are far too many friendly and interesting people here to get to know and share interests with.

I'm really interested and excited about the scope I will get, and learning how to use it to see things I've never had a chance to gaze upon before.

...and to share these experiences and pass them onto my own children.

All the best

Archived