NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My First Jupiter

Josh Wilson

I had clear skies tonight so I set up my scope and by about 8:45, Jupiter was clear up in the sky.

Here are the settings:

Frame Divisor=1

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=15.00

Colour Space / Compression=MJPG

Exposure=-7

Brightness=128

Contrast=32

Hue=4

Saturation=93

Sharpness=0

Gamma=180

WhiteBalance=4200(Auto)

BacklightCompensation=0

Gain=0

And finally the picture:

post-25144-0-28009600-1355804750_thumb.j

Any tips? I wasn't sure what Color Space to use so I just went with the default. Is MJPG OK? Or should I switch to YUY2?

You want YUY2. MJPG uses lossy compression.

Good first image though, looks like you got the focus spot on.

Cheers,

Chris

I think it could handle a bit more magnification (Barlow or PowerMate), otherwise it looks good.

I agree. This is at 200x with a 6mm EP. I'm hoping to get a barlow for christmass so until then this'll just have to do.

Thanks all for the comments, I'll try to use YUY2 given there are clear skies tonight. Anything else?

Hi Josh,

That's a very nice first attempt. here are some additional comments:

1. gamma should be 0

2. gain should be at around 80% thus the exposure should change as well to fit it

3. YUY2 is the preferred option

4. go for a barlow that will give you ~f/25 (if you have one)

5. use an IR/UV cutoff filter (if you have one)

6. I usually use fps 10 (I guess you have an SPC900)

That's will give you a good start before you get addicted and start using 6 different post-processing tools to get to the ultimate result :-)

Nice job again on your first

Dror

The Xbox camera Josh is using doesn't behave as nicely as the SPC900, Dror. The gamma can't be lowered to 0 and if the gain is too high then there's too much noise in the image. I wouldn't go over 10fps with the SPC900 and I couldn't get a decent image from my Xbox camera at any higher frame rate using my 127 Mak, but 15fps is probably a better choice if the scope is fast enough (which in this case I think it probably is).

James

Archived