Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Naked Eye Observing Help

I have started reading a bit since the weather has not been the best here lately. I have been able to go outside in my small city and see some of brighter stars. I can see Orion good and Jupiter is very bright as well. My main question is should I go constellation by constellation learning the names and/or learn each and the major stars with in each constellation? I am pretty familiar with Orion with Betelgeuse and Rigel but many of the other constellations I am not as good with. Any advice and/or reading material suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Hi

I suggest learning to remember the constellations, as these are used to organize the other objects. For instance you refere to object X as being located in the constellation of Y.

There are a number of ways to learn, but the best idea would be to have some sort of sky map available when youre out observing. My suggestion would be to use an iPhone or Android app like StarMap, Star Walk or Google Sky Maps. You could also get a printed planisphere. THe best free home computer app is thought to be Stellarium by many, its a really useful tool to see what's available from your location, at any point in time.

If you have a pair of binoculars handy you could always go for the "Turn Left At Orion" book which is a really good guide to the best objects in the sky, and it gives a hint to how much you can expect to see from each object. That book will also serve you well if you get a small telescope at some point.

Hi Boiler and welcome to SGL :)

Yes learning the constellations, how they move and when they come round your part of the sky is very useful. Note also the position of the pole star, the ecliptic, the Milky Way, and the ordinal points - these are all your first guides to observing and will come in very handy for star hopping when you get your dob. Most objects and within a constellation and are found by a series of hops often starting at one of the main stars in that constellation. You'll be able to plan your scope sessions and find stuff much more effectively when the time comes :)

Hi Boiler and welcome to SGL :)

Yes learning the constellations, how they move and when they come round your part of the sky is very useful. Note also the position of the pole star, the ecliptic, the Milky Way, and the ordinal points - these are all your first guides to observing and will come in very handy for star hopping when you get your dob. Most objects and within a constellation and are found by a series of hops often starting at one of the main stars in that constellation. You'll be able to plan your scope sessions and find stuff much more effectively when the time comes :)

Thanks!!

I agree. Learn the major constellations and how they look as they move across the night sky from month to month. This should be done during some light pollution that will blank out the many fainter stars and make observing the constellations easier. Then when you observe at a dark sky site, the constellations will be easier to find among the many more stars you will be able to see. The use of a planisphere will help greatly and monthly ones can be printed free at skymaps.com. Click on the "northern hemisphere download" button.

I agree. Learn the major constellations and how they look as they move across the night sky from month to month. This should be done during some light pollution that will blank out the many fainter stars and make observing the constellations easier. Then when you observe at a dark sky site, the constellations will be easier to find among the many more stars you will be able to see. The use of a planisphere will help greatly and monthly ones can be printed free at skymaps.com. Click on the "northern hemisphere download" button.

I am going to go to a slightly darker area especially darker to the North. It will still be in town but farther out. I had trouble finding Polaris when I was out because of the light pollution in that direction.

Try seeing how good the sky is by looking at the stars in the small plough ..ursa minor that comes off the pole star. Look for the square of stars at the end and see if you can see all four. They are mag 2,3,4 and 5 so they are a good way to test the darkness of the sky...

Mark

Try seeing how good the sky is by looking at the stars in the small plough ..ursa minor that comes off the pole star. Look for the square of stars at the end and see if you can see all four. They are mag 2,3,4 and 5 so they are a good way to test the darkness of the sky...

Mark

From my house East and South are pretty good but I could not find or really see any stars North and West of me. Sunday if the weather permits I am going to go a few miles West of my house to the outer edge of Purdue and the light pollution should be less.

A very effective way of learning the constellations is the way our ancestors did it: through stories. A lot of the constellations turn up in Greek and other mythology. Essentially, our forefathers (and -mothers!) arranged the points of light into recognisable patterns, then tied the patterns together with stories. So, we have a hunting scene with Orion, his two dogs, the hare cowering unseen by his feet, and the almost-hidden unicorn (monoceros) whihc he passed without noticing. He is chasing the Pleiades, who Zeus turned into pigeons and placed in the sky when Merope got fed up with Orion hitting on her. But there is a bull between him and his quarry. Opposite him in the sky is the scorpion that killed him, placed as far as possible from him.

Later on in the night we have the Babylonian myth of Pyramus and Thisbe: there is the Lion that frightened Thisbe and, just behind it not only is Thisbe (Virgo) hiding, but also there is the veil (Coma Berenices) that she dropped (and which Pyramus was later to find and misinterpret).

And so on....

A very effective way of learning the constellations is the way our ancestors did it: through stories. A lot of the constellations turn up in Greek and other mythology. Essentially, our forefathers (and -mothers!) arranged the points of light into recognisable patterns, then tied the patterns together with stories. So, we have a hunting scene with Orion, his two dogs, the hare cowering unseen by his feet, and the almost-hidden unicorn (monoceros) whihc he passed without noticing. He is chasing the Pleiades, who Zeus turned into pigeons and placed in the sky when Merope got fed up with Orion hitting on her. But there is a bull between him and his quarry. Opposite him in the sky is the scorpion that killed him, placed as far as possible from him.

Later on in the night we have the Babylonian myth of Pyramus and Thisbe: there is the Lion that frightened Thisbe and, just behind it not only is Thisbe (Virgo) hiding, but also there is the veil (Coma Berenices) that she dropped (and which Pyramus was later to find and misinterpret).

And so on....

Quite right. My first interest was started as a child by a book called "Legends of the Stars" by Sir Patrick Moore. My daughter is now reading it and getting interested as well.

Archived