Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 To T2 Adapter

Gina

Anyone know if there's anywhere selling M42 to T2 adapters? That is - for using M42 lenses on astro CCD cameras or filter wheels. There's plenty the other way round - for T2 lenses on M42 camera bodies. If I can get the right adapter I think there's a chance that I could use my old M42 thread lenses with my Atik 314L+ and Atik EFW2 filter wheel. Or does anyone know if there's an adapter that will fit the EFW2 directly to take EOS (EF) lenses? I have M42 to EF mount adapters that allow infinity focus.

Edited by Gina

Hi Gina,

Just a point to watch. there are two M42 threads. The old photograhic M42 x 0.75 thread. I think it's commonly called the Pentax screw thread. The other is the astro standard M42 x 0.5 thread.

I would contact Bern at Modern Astronomy, I have purchased both items from Bern earlier this year.

cheers

Steve

Thank you Paul - deal done :)

314L+ 13.5mm optical backfocus

EFW2 21.0mm

54-T2 1.3mm

Adapter 7.0mm

====

............ 42.8mm

Edited by Gina

• 7 years later...

I have acquired a number of old camera lenses over the years and adapted to modern digital cameras. However long ones can also be adapted as telescopes.

The M42 lens thread is M42x1mm, as used by Praktica et al. When we speak of a camera lens with a M42 thread, this is the one it will have. The T2 (or T) thread we are familiar with on telescopes is the M42x0.75mm, also known as the Taisei (the inventor) or Tamron thread. Both are ISO-metric threads, they are not interchangeable. M42x1 to DSLR camera adaptors are readily available, these lenses were mostly for 35mm compact film SLR  thus back focus should accommodate a mirror box however using a shorter adaptor will increase focus-turn range at infinity (some old lenses are not right at infinity on full turn).

To adapt a M42 camera lens as a telescope to astro cameras or eyepieces we need to convert to T2. The TS-Optics Adapter M42x1 female to T2 male aka "russian adaptor" is available from 365 Astronomy in the UK without the silly shipping charges from abroad. https://www.365astronomy.com/TS-M42x1-female-to-T2-male-adapter-for-Russian-Objectives.html 

We may need to further reduce from T2 to C mount (CCTV camera) but these adaptors are more readily available.