NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's a good place for secondhand gear?

I'm looking at buying an HEQ5 mount, but its a bit pricy, so am considering s/h. I'm currently a new member here, so don't have access to the buy/sell forum :(.

Is that the sort of thing that comes up on there very often? If not, where are the best places to look (excluding the obvious ebay).

Cheers!

There are bargains on eBay but you need to know what you are looking for and be prepared to trawl through endless pages of junk

I agree.

Also check on prices, some bidding often get carried away and end up paying about 90% of the new price with postage (at that price, I'd rather go with new because of the warranty and extra customer service if things go wrong). Normally, 60-70% of new price is a safe bet for something well looked after.

Of recent times I have come across reports of bargains being had from Gumtree, but perhaps a little knowledge of what you are after would benefit, as it is not a dedicated Astro site. Astro/buy/Sell, as has been mentioned, would be your best bet :)

John.

I've seen several HEQ5s come up on ABS over the last several weeks or months, so they do appear quite regularly. Do a search of the ABS archive to see what sort of price they go for. Tends to be around £500-£550 I think for a Synscan HEQ5. But somewhere like Gumtree is another possibility. A 200P on a Sysncan EQ5 came up on there the other day for an absolute bargain price.

There's also this one:

http://www.astroclassifieds.co.uk/

Its a newer astro ads site but looks good. Like all things new its need support to get established.

Just had a look at this one, and a lot of it is dealer stuff, so not really 2nd hand as such. AB&S is good, I have had a number of bargains from there. eBay is mainly junk to be honest, but you do get the very occasional bargain, also Skies the Limit sell new EP's on there, which are good value/quality.

Just had a look at this one, and a lot of it is dealer stuff, so not really 2nd hand as such. AB&S is good, I have had a number of bargains from there. eBay is mainly junk to be honest, but you do get the very occasional bargain, also Skies the Limit sell new EP's on there, which are good value/quality.

I have tried to keep the posting of listings only to people who are selling their own used equipment, I have created a page for dealers if they want a link exchange. Please let me know which listings look like dealers and I'll look into it.

I just bought an 8mm BST ED Eyepiece from Skies the Limit on there. Great customer service, and an amazing eyepiece for the money :)

As AstroAdam has said,Skies the limit are very good on the customer service front.A couple of months ago,I was after a TMB 6MM planetary eyepiece.I phoned Alan,at 4.30pm on Saturday,to check if they were in stock,and had a very pleasant conversation.I ordered via E-Bay,paid by Paypal,and had the eyepiece in my mits by tuesday morning.I'd certainly use this firm again.

The UK Astro Buy & Sell website is an excellent resource for used equipment. I've had many successful transactions there :smiley:

Me too. The only thing I would add is that when it comes to expensive items (comparative) try and inspect the item in person before committing the cash. That might rule out stuff at the other end of the country, but it's a wise precaution. As with any other walk of life stargazers are for the most part decent and honest people, but there are always one or two who will try and flog you a damaged or poor quality item as in "perfect condition", "l.n.i.b." etc. Like any other market, "buyer beware" is the rule.

Archived