Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick attack of heart and soul

GlassWalker

post-22006-0-58552600-1354665820_thumb.j

My first go at the heart and soul of my guided EQ6 era.

I know I could have tweaked the framing a bit, or better still, zoom out a little to help get it all in. Maybe one for next time. There's a bit of residual gradient I didn't correct well enough, but what's that dark patch between the heart and soul? I don't have any dust there on my flat... is it some dust out there, rather than on my camera?

Modified 450D, Astronomik CLS-CCD, Sigma 120-300 OS HSM at 300mm f/2.8. 22x2m with flats.

Thanks all, I'm still playing with various gradient removal methods and tools so hope to do better in future. That was with a manual gradient removal using DBE in PixInsight, as I found the auto version a bit too aggressive. I find most gradient tools find it hard to distinguish between faint nebulosity and actual gradient leaving some unwanted effects in the dark areas.

Forecast still looks good for tonight so I hope to have another go perhaps at 200mm to get the lot in, and maybe also try adding some narrowband data as time allows.

post-22006-0-82928200-1354755266_thumb.j

I did return to it again, this time zooming out a bit to get the whole lot! So many starts... Pretty much same settings otherwise. 46x2m subs.

post-22006-0-94034800-1354755274_thumb.j

Couldn't resist a bit of narrowband too. Only tried Ha and OIII, the latter wasn't terribly interesting but the Ha presented above has some potential. I have no idea how to add it to the RGB though... one for later on. 17x4m subs, Astronomik Ha 12nm.

Archived