NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

University super Abbe ortho`s

nightfisher

Hi.

Had a wee hunt through my old notes. Here's my take.

8178580583_9505c12b24_n.jpg

Apogee(long gone now) in the US first brought these to the market quite a few years back and I got the 4.8 & 7.7mm.

Optical quality - I felt they were they were quite decent, but a notch down from the volcano & flat tops orthos that I had at the same time.

Build quality - Very lightweight. All alluminium and a one piece build. ie: no seperate barrel. Quite a few notches below the finish of the other available orthos. I always felt a little bit let down by the build & wished they had designed a better body.

At the time, they were not quite half the price of the U.O. volcano tops(~ $30 / $55). So they were very good for the price.

So. Not quite as good as the other orthos, but nice enough for those on a budget. If all other orthos dissapeared overnight, I would quite happily use them, although the range of FL's isn't nearly as good.

Note these were early versions of this eyepiece type and I haven't used the versions out today. I presume they come from the same factory.

Andy.

The "volcano tops" from University are excellent but, as Andy says, those flat tops are not quite in the same league. Glen at Lyra has obviously tried some to see what they are like (I think these are the same):

http://www.astrobuys....php?view=63214

correct John, i had a look at them yesterday as i called at Glens for a cuppa and a chat regarding a future refractor

Hi, I bought a set of four some time ago, marketed by Kson based in Guangdong, China. They are solidly made but I have to say I wasn't over-impressed, I felt they had a slight tinge of false colour to them, I see similar are now also being offered by TS in Germany. I cannot guarantee that the ones I have are the same as those you refer to (they look identical and are offered in the same focal lengths), but if it were me making the choice now, I would go for the Baader Classic Orthos when they come into stock at FLO.

Archived