Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

General advice for chilling weather

Hello

Tomorrow looks like one of the first clear evenings for me in quite a while.

I've already made plans and I am now aiming towards driving to a friend in the club to set up at his back yard a 45 minute drive from here.

The thing is that it's looking to be downwards to -20c and I was wondering if there are any things to think of.

* What I had in mind for the battery tank and the handset was to place them in a portable cooler box underneath the scope, stashing it with a hot water bottle.

* Bring a few hand warmers.

* Real clothing. Proper soles in my boots.

Still not sure how to handle the DSLR (or if it needs to be handled at all) as I have no type of heating equipment for it, maybe a cloth cap on top of it will be enough since the sensor should add some warmth.

It's not going to be a marathon session, we plan on getting just a few hours since I have to drive home a bit, and have to work in the morning.

So, can you guys share any of your tips for surviving a few hours in the extreme cold?

Just finished up setting one of my scopes with the Orion iv system and a laptop and will try and get some good viewing from inside my house/conservatory as last night, I really tried but it was too cold for me!!!

Laptop had a lot of moisture on it - don't think It's waterproof and was worried about long term damage- remote viewing for me I thiink( if I can get EVERYTHING working right of course....... Hopefully will be able to also try my Nikon D3100 on the Synscan 127- all the bits arrived today from ebay and FLO !!!

I use 3 good thermal layers, 2 thinner ones and a thick one, and a good down jacket with hood, that has been OK for -10 and a bit less. Trouble is that many of the thermals sold here are more cosmetic and using good ones like Patagonia tend to be more costly but they are effective.

For -20 I would look at a thermal layer for my legs and as you say good insulation for the feet area.

Will say that if there is no wind, absolutly still, then you can get by with less, it is often the wind, even slight, that takes your warmth away.

Tights are really good if you can source a pair, then thermals (silk if you can get them), then perhaps a couple of pairs of trousers, lots of thin layers on top of thermals - and a nowegian army shirt if you can find it. A balaclava is useful as it covers neck, ears and head in one. Several pairs of socks help and if you've got room some good thermal insoles

The tights are an old army trick - just don't tell anyone what your wearing!

Yeah clothing pretty much under control now. Worst case my friend has a warm house :)

I'm more worried about the gear, can't do much about the mount but atleast I should be able to tuck away the powertank and handset.

Hi Carl,

I live in Uppland too and have been thinking the same thing for tomorrow. I just have a tripod and a DSLR yet however so it's less to think about. I figure I might cut up some handtowel and drape over the camera.

I like the coolerbox for the battery as that should work to keep it warmer.

I don't currently own so much eqiupment but I will order a mount this weekend, its using a PC in -20 that worries me a little. Not sure how to handle that.

/ Klas

http://www.flickr.co...s/87367242@N07/

Ooh tights , used to use that trick fishing .

When I've been cold places I use a compression base layer , thin cotton then nice thick wooly socks , a looser layer then trousers and a norgie

. Decent boots and I also have insulated jacket and trousers incase it really is nippy . Plus a nice wooly hat for the thinning haired head

Let the OTA cool to the external temperature before observing and when finishing up for the night, if air-moisture looks a problem it might be a good idea to seal the OTA in a large plastic bin bag and bring it into a non-heated part of your house, garage, spare room. So long as the outside moisture on the OTA doesn't touch the inside warm moisture of your house, no condensation should form. In the morning, gently peal off the plastic bag and let the OTA breath. Keep your feet and head warm. If possible have thick soles and stand on a mat. Keep the interior clothes baggy, let the air circulate a bit.

When I had -18 yesterday it was pretty dry cold. I had my dew shield, that was enough for 2 hours, Chris didn't even have one and me managed some personal best jupiter shots :D

As you can see, the cold couldn't stop us from having a great evening outside Uppsala :)

2nd DSO M45

Carl's and Christoffer's scopes

Excellent results - I've never seen the pleiades like this from my back yard, and the backdrop detail in IC349 sets the shot up wonderfully.

Well worth the effort and risk of chilblains or minor frost bite - I'll keep an eye on the equipment reviews for heated insoles after your next session.

Out of interest what was Christoffer's newt - looks gigantic on EQ6?

Thanks Jake, heated soles are tempting, now the weather has eased up, and we're left with a few minus and piles of snow.

It's an old tube, I don't remember the fabrication details or brands, but it's 1500mm focal length, so it's perfect for his planet photography. I hope to meet him today at the club meeting, gonna ask him about the specifics, so watch this space.

Jake, here is another shot taken by Christoffer with his mighty newton, I still don't know the details on it, but I'll ask him:

Cheers Carl - I think Christoffer is trying to make us all feel inadequate ;) I'm guessing a little on diameter (prob around 250mm x 1500mm giving F6 ish), it doesn't seem to dwarf the mount to the same extent as the first image - but still commands attention.

Just as well the cold wars over and you're nowhere near the middle east as this could easily be mistaken for some new WMD or Long Range Missile and earn some unwarranted attention!

Archived