Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aldi telescope

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that the description says that you get two Barlow lenses. I assume that is a typo from someone not understanding '2xBarlow lens'.

Doesn't instill confidence, and goes to show that the advice you get from a supplier who knows about astronomical instruments is not to be forgotten.

Fitted with an 8mm Vixen NPL, I could clearly make out two dark bands either side of the equator of Jupiter through the Aldi scope tonight, having walked straight out of a brightly lit workshop. A good result for me, but nothing really to compare it to other than the same scope with bundled lenses.

With a 30mm Vixen NPL, I get about twice the true FOV of the bundled H20mm - more light, better contrast. Great to learn the sky a bit better, and hopefully make out some fuzzy bits here and there. I have spent more on lenses than I did on this scope to begin with, but for a 'beginner' with reasonably high expectations I'm happy enough I went for this. Far more portable than anything on a tripod and good for kids, too.

7/10. ;)

enjoy it furry, small money and portable

Certainly!

I've seen a 4.5" f/8 Celestron on a single motor EQ1 advertised locally for £50. My son will definitely get more out of the Aldi scope with nice EPs and a 4deg FOV than trying to learn (let alone reach!) a bigger scope. It's missing a finder scope which is a real pain - a premature purchase perhaps, but it's got us started and that's what counts. It will be great to take it camping!

And as I'm definitely not getting that Celestron, I reason that I can afford another EP or a nice Barlow instead. ;):D

• 11 months later...

does any one have a photo of it? as i might get it as a present for some one

They still have piles of these in the Aldi I frequent. Sounds like it might be worth a punt, although I'm not sure I have room for any more toys. For one thing, the printing on the box says 76mm "lens", and for another what defines it as Dobsonian - just that is has an alt-az mount?? One would have thought NatGeo would be more careful.

I'll upload a photo of the box later, FWIW.

National Geographic have allowed some awful scopes to be sold with their branding on. This looks like one of the better ones. The view at 175x won't be too clever though !

I suppose it's a kind of single arm dobsonian design although alt-azimuth would probably be more accurate. 

I thought the idea of "Dobsonian" was a BIG mirror and a light tube/frame to keep the centre of gravity low, and a simple azimuth turntable with supports for trunnions that the tube just drops into? My description of this would be a small Newtonian with a single-armed fork mounting much like the original Questar (as somebody mentioned above).

It may be marketing hype, but surely to the general public "Newtonian" sounds just as good as "Dobson"?

They still have piles of these in the Aldi I frequent. Sounds like it might be worth a punt, although I'm not sure I have room for any more toys. For one thing, the printing on the box says 76mm "lens", and for another what defines it as Dobsonian - just that is has an alt-az mount?? One would have thought NatGeo would be more careful.

I'll upload a photo of the box later, FWIW.

Quote: '...what defines it as dobsonian...' - in a nutshell, it is the mount.

"Sometime in the late 1970’s John Dobson invented a type of telescope mounting. This was driven by necessity and his lack of resources. Cheap materials were relied on the build a telescope that resembled a cannon and used large bearings of Teflon and Formica to move the optical tube assembly up and down. A full history of this is available at the Sidewalk Astronomers web site."

This is the first paragraph from: http://www.sdmtelescopes.com.au/dobhistory.html website.

I have found this lower down the page...

"It is worth noting that the “Dobsonians” owes a lot to:

1. Sir Isaac Newton, who invented the optical system.

2. Leon Foucault, who designed an optical test to produce a paraboloidal.

3. John Dobson, who was first with Teflon on formica bearings.

4. Ivar Hamberg’s truss tube alt-az telescope design, and

5. David Kreige, who refined this design in his Obsession line of telescopes."

• 1 month later...

Archived