Would a 2"...

Tom2012

Good morning everyone!

I was out last night observing Jupiter and was wondering if a 2" EP would enlarge the size o Jupiter?

Although the 1.25" 10mm EP performed well last night in the back of my mind I was wishing I had a 2" EP to use alongside to see different views. If I'm completely mistaken, please let me know! Haha

Thanks.

Tom.

The diameter of the barrel of the EP will not impact the size of the object you wish to observe. That will be determined by the focal length of the EP, which in turn results in the magnification you achieve (telescope focal length divided by EP focal length). Most 2" EPs are wide field, low power (longer focal length) which would result in Jupiter being even smaller. For a larger disc, you need a shorter focal length EP. For example, a 5mm EP would result in a magnification twice that of what you have with the 10mm EP you mentioned using.

A planet will always look like a pea in whatever eyepiece you use, the barrel diameter has no effect on it at all, it's magnification that counts and a good steady clear sky. 2" ep's are more generally used for low power wide field observing.

If you want to tell us what scope you are using and what budget you have for a new EP I'm sure someone will come along and give you an idea of what to buy to increase size without loosing detail ( always depending on conditions of course)

If you want to tell us what scope you are using and what budget you have for a new EP I'm sure someone will come along and give you an idea of what to buy to increase size without loosing detail ( always depending on conditions of course)

Ah yes! Sorry I forgot to mention it. I've got a SW 200p. I only use the included EPs (10mm and 25mm)

As for budget. I'd probably say roughly £100-£150 at a push.

Thanks for all your help.

Tom.

Hi Tom

Have a look at sky's unlimited on eBay for the BST starguiders

They are only £47 a pop work well in a f5 newt

I have the same scope and have the 8 and 18 mm at the price you can't go wrong as starter eps I would say better than the plossls

They do have a 5mm but not tried it as I use naglers now but about 5x the price but give the BSTs a go

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my book an 8" F/5 scope should be fine with a 4.5 to 5mm EP for planets, 3.5 if circumstances are near perfect. In my 8" F/10 these correspond to my 8.5mm XF + 10mm XW (234x and 203x), and 7mm XW (290x) respectively. The BSTs get a very good press on the forum, so should be a safe bet (especially at that price).

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go for the BST 4mm for now and then hopefully pick up a 10mm and 18mm.

I downloaded a app for iPhone called telescope simulator! It simulates your telescope with different type of mags and barlows. Not sure if its exact though. Will be interesting to compare tonight with just standard EPs.

Thanks again everyone! Always appreciate your help!

Tom.

Thanks everyone! I've decided to go for the BST 4mm for now and then hopefully pick up a 10mm and 18mm.

I downloaded a app for iPhone called telescope simulator! It simulates your telescope with different type of mags and barlows. Not sure if its exact though. Will be interesting to compare tonight with just standard EPs.

Thanks again everyone! Always appreciate your help!

Tom.

Um, BST don't do a 4? Or a 10...

Edit: are you looking a the "TMB designed" ones? They too say BST, but they're not the explorers.

Um, BST don't do a 4? Or a 10...

Edit: are you looking a the "TMB designed" ones? They too say BST, but they're not the explorers.

Haha! Sorry 8mm* and just looking at 10 and 18 just to fill the gap from various other providers.

Sorry I wasn't very clear :)

Archived