Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do you work out the Apparent field of view of an Eyepiece.

Another interesting thing you also might like to find out is how many minutes and seconds of arc you can actually see with each of your eyepieces. If you have a stop watch or a second hand on your wrist watch, place any star which is near the celestial equator, you could use Delta Orionis ( Mintaka ) in Orion's belt at this time of the year, with your drive switched off, place this on the Eastern edge of your eyepiece FOV and time how long it takes in seconds to cross through the centre and disappear off the Western edge. Divide the time by four and this should give you the actual field diameter of your eyepiece in arc minutes, if you then multiply by 60, this will convert to arc seconds which you may find useful :)

John.

Generally read what the manufacturer said.

John's drift method will allow you to work out true field of view, but many wide field eyepieces have rectilinear distortion so AFOV calculated from tFOV may not correspond exactly to the AFOV you see.

This is all very interesting and opens up more things to conssider. Question, I haven't got the" turn left at orion" book. Does this also tell you the size of objects in degrees?

not really, it mentions size on occasions but its kept quite simple in most respects,i suppose thats what is appealing about tlao.

This is all very interesting and opens up more things to conssider. Question, I haven't got the" turn left at orion" book. Does this also tell you the size of objects in degrees?

This large list of DSOs that(most) are detectable with a 250mm reflector in dark skies does list each object's size but for photo images, which are a bit larger than visually, especially with galaxies and nebulae. For any one on the list, I use a 3/4 figure of what's listed for dark skies. Also, the surface brightness of most objects are listed, another aid to determine if an object can be detected for the size scope you are using. The list is very long but since it's formatted by constellations and brightest objects first, I find it very useful when observing visually. Since some sites do disapear in the future, I have printed out the whole list for safe keeping...just in case :rolleyes:

7000 DSOs

Archived