Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Too good to be true

I don't know whether anyone else here ever come up with the website which is seems too good to be true and tend to be SCAMS!!??

This is the website that I'm talking about http://sportstelesco...lescope.com���� or maybe this website is not a fraud, I don't know. Does anybody ever purchase something from this website?

Story was, I was looking for buying a new bigger telescope in the internet which provides internationally shipping(to Thailand). I've found

Skywatcher 16" Black Diamond Colla DOB with the price $1,389 (seems normal) but !!!! I was trying to check the shipping cost (which is known as something can be higher price than the scopes' prices) but the website offer "FREE SHIPPING (To Thailand)"!!! :huh:

To be honest, in that time I was happy that I found something call as "free" but I just decided to contact them, asking whether is it true that is really free shipping. I've got very rapidly reply e-mail from them, was saying about it's true, because of their monthly promotion.

Then, I decided to sent an e-mail to protelescope which Mr.Andrew Green is the owner, and asking whether that website is theirs??

The answer was "NO" hahaha then you know the sound when the dream of cheap and free things hitting the ground sound. Haahahahaha

Anyhow, I still keep searching to buy a new telescope which is bigger than my Omegon 114-900 (4.5"). Any recommend? :p

Nan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not quite understand. Sportstelescope is not the same as Protelescope (for which you claim Andrew Green is the owner) so why should Andrew Green have anything to do with it? I could imagine shipping to Thailand being included as sportstelescope is apparently based in Bandung, Indonesia. The number of labels of different brands (some of which they do not sell, apparently, try Pentax), might put one off, but I am not sure if this is a scam site, and none of your comments prove this.

:-) Oh, sorry for the confusing.

Thing is Sporttelescope is using Andrew's picture as the picture that showing in the webpage. Then I just thought it might be his new site, but it isn't, and that website is using his picture without any permission. So, I really don't know whether that (sporttelescope) is scam or real.

Looks like they grabbed a few images from the web to make their own page then. This does happen. I cannot say whether the website is legit or not.

My general rule is if I do not feel comfortable with a seller, I do not buy from them, especially when a large sum of money is concerned. Look around to see if more information on this store can be obtained.

Are there no local dealers in Thailand? It would be better to order locally than from the opposite side of the world.

There are a number of Skywatcher dealers in South East Asia (such as in Hong Kong and Singapore). It will be easier to return items to dealers in your region if something goes wrong and it's not uncommon to receive faulty astro products that needs to be returned.

:-) Oh, sorry for the confusing.

Thing is Sporttelescope is using Andrew's picture as the picture that showing in the webpage. Then I just thought it might be his new site, but it isn't, and that website is using his picture without any permission. So, I really don't know whether that (sporttelescope) is scam or real.

Hi, Are you a member of an Astronomy club such as the one in Bangkok http://thaiastro.nectec.or.th/ Perhaps someone at the club can recommend a good supplier? Maybe worth sending them a quick email.

There is an Orion Telescope dealer outlet in Bangkok too http://www.classicoworld.com/

I'll be in Bangkok again this Christmas which i am looking forward too. On previous visits to rural areas though i found good seeing to be hampered by the humidity in the air. How often do you get really clear skies where you are?

Cheers.....

Good luck with the telescope purchase.

Thank you in advanced for every comment from everyone. Of course, there are some local dealer here, but I was thinking about I will take to to be last choice. Now, time for this last choice I think :-)

To Whooshbang .... Now, Thailand having such a great time for night sky. My province is Kanchanaburi, western part. We almost having a clear sky every night. Welcome you to Thailand again and wish you for a great time and safe :-)

Drop a post onto the US forum Cloudy Nights and see if anyone knows of this company. P. S. Just looked on there " about us " section and they are based in Bandung , Singapore.

That Celestron CPC 1100 XLT at $1155 looks to good to be true.

If it "seems too good to be true" it usually is. I'd stick to well known reputable suppliers. Yes, it may cost a lot in shipping, but at least you'll have a telescope as a result, rather than an empty account/maxed out credit card.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

..... P. S. Just looked on there " about us " section and they are based in Bandung , Singapore.

Bandung is NOT in Singapore but on the Indonesian island of Java and is the capital of West Java

HTH

Cheers

Bill

If it "seems too good to be true" it usually is. I'd stick to well known reputable suppliers. Yes, it may cost a lot in shipping, but at least you'll have a telescope as a result, rather than an empty account/maxed out credit card.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

you are right :-)

To Whooshbang .... Now, Thailand having such a great time for night sky. My province is Kanchanaburi, western part. We almost having a clear sky every night. Welcome you to Thailand again and wish you for a great time and safe :-)

I guess the rainy season has long ended then. Looking forward to coming over and catching the sun rays!

good luck with your telescope purchase

I guess the rainy season has long ended then. Looking forward to coming over and catching the sun rays!

good luck with your telescope purchase

:laugh: Yes, rainy season has ended :angel8: but not for the southern part of Thailand, it's will always rains there :embarrassed: . For the other parts, there will be the cooler wind from China blowing here, so this is mean that Thailand will have a bit cooler weather from now on (until early February) and a bit cooler at night time (good for going out at night, dancing with the stars and our own telescopes :grin::icon_bounce: )

The sun is always shining here where I am, but I always hiding from the sun rays hahahaha (too hot and humid) but great is, sky will be so perfectly clear every night :biggrin: luckily that I live in the countryside, so I can see always see it.

About purchasing a new telescope. In one side of hand, I am about stop the thought of purchasing for a while, but on the other hands, I just keep reading more and more about mirror parabolic sandwich telescope which is about 16" to 32" that is more interesting. :cheesy: Thank you anyhow. Really wish you a nice X'mas trip here in Thailand, and of course if you need help please feel free, I'm here to assist :smiley:

If you pay with "Paypal" you should be OK

I just e-mail them once again (and pretending to order it) : telling them that I'll go for SkyWatcher 16" Black Diamonds DOB 1 item, and I am happy and prefer to pay via Paypal.

Here is what I got for the answer " sorry, but we don't do Paypal for one item" So, they are trying to ask it's not OK

I just e-mail them once again (and pretending to order it) : telling them that I'll go for SkyWatcher 16" Black Diamonds DOB 1 item, and I am happy and prefer to pay via Paypal.

Here is what I got for the answer " sorry, but we don't do Paypal for one item" So, they are trying to ask it's not OK

Yeah usually fraudsters would like instant cash money transfer. Untraceable.

I noticed that too, I can actually afford that. Just think all my dreams have been answered and I wont have to save for another year or so for a c11, even the alt az forks seem a good idea at that price.

I think I'd give this place as of a wide berth as possible.

I may be wrong but it seems like a good idea to not purchase from them, especially if they advertise on their site PayPal but then wont accept it as a payment.

looks as if someone has lost some money to them.

http://www.scambook.com/report/view/182481/SportsTelescopecom-Scam-Complaint-182481-for-$5,200.00

http://www.scamadviser.com/is-sportstelescope.com-safe.html

Archived