Good narrowband images.

ollypenrice

I don't do narrowband-only images but take a look at this guy's work. He lives between Aix en Provence and Marseile, well to the south of me, so has lots of LP but these strike me as world class.

https://sites.google.com/site/photoastro13/photos-1

He gets tiny halo-free stars and a very fine colour balance, don't you think?

Olly

Yep, really pro-class images. Amazing what you can achieve with only twelve grand's worth of kit and double the hours of clear sky vs. what we get in even the "dry" part of the UK. (Can you tell it is raining here again?)

Personally I'd be happy if I could achieve something similar to his DSLR Pac-Man image that he's put up for comparison!

His Rosette is definitely star of the show for me. I agree about the stars, magenta halo's well controlled. Looks like he is using the tone mapping technique (basically stripping out the stars from the colour channels and just using the luminence channel).

Narrowband is a god send for those of us with heavy LP, as demonstrated by the likes of Neil Fleming. The trouble is, you do need a lot of exposure time. Any half way decent NB image I've ever captured normally takes a couple of months :mad:

You ought to do some NB on those moonlit nights Olly

Archived