Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imager turned observer

The three screws work in a push-pull arrangement (a bit like the alt adjustment bolts on an EQ mount only there are three of them) If you loosen one bolt, they will all be loose but then you tighten back up using the other two and everything is tight again, just you have moved the mirror a bit.

I wasn't looking all wrong but that now does make a lot of sense to me, I'm going to have a play tomorrow morning to see if I can get to grips with it.

Thanks guys, really appreciated.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the same thing. 10 years ago I sold all my astrophoto equipment and quit.

After a nearly 10 year break I re-entered the hobby, but strictly visual this time, built an observatory, and promised myself to never venture back into imaging again.

I did the same thing. 10 years ago I sold all my astrophoto equipment and quit.

After a nearly 10 year break I re-entered the hobby, but strictly visual this time, built an observatory, and promised myself to never venture back into imaging again.

It's very liberating being able to get the Dob out of our outhouse and be observing within a couple of minutes as opposed to the 1 hour+ setup time for an imaging run.

Saying that........I feel ashamed to say but I have made a list on my iphone notepad of the kit I might buy to start imaging again. :Envy:

sometimes if you cannot get the secondary to adjust properly (i.e. the adjusters are too tight), it pays to slacken off all three slightly and you then get more play in the adjustment. obviously not too much as the secondary may rotate.

Thanks Shane.

Welcome back to the league of people who hang around outside in the dark!

The dob is an excellent choice for quick setup and light grabbing.

I have an SW200P that I put on an EQ mount. To be honest, it needs little attention in the collimation dept. you should be able to just enjoy the views.

Welcome back to the league of people who hang around outside in the dark!

The dob is an excellent choice for quick setup and light grabbing.

I have an SW200P that I put on an EQ mount. To be honest, it needs little attention in the collimation dept. you should be able to just enjoy the views.

haha, I like it :grin:

I've had it less than a week and enjoyed 2 clear nights already......don't think I had that in the last few months as an imager.

Cheers

Personally, I like imaging and observing equally. I always thought observing was just, well, looking through the EP and going ooohhh, arrrrrrrr in wonder. But I now understand you *learn* to observe - something i most definitely have not learnt as yet.... When you are an accomplished observer you can see things that others can't through the same setup. A real skill I would love to master one day!

Personally, I like imaging and observing equally. I always thought observing was just, well, looking through the EP and going ooohhh, arrrrrrrr in wonder. But I now understand you *learn* to observe - something i most definitely have not learnt as yet.... When you are an accomplished observer you can see things that others can't through the same setup. A real skill I would love to master one day!

I've never been into observing before, I love photography so astrophotography was always a natural progression for me. I still wonder whether it was a bad decision selling my gear but the last 2 observing nights have been a real pleasure. The ease of use of the Dob and actually seeing detail in jupiter for the first time through one of my own scopes was breathtaking. I managed to bag 8 Messier Objects (without Goto :Envy: ) and study Jupiter....they were a couple of great nights.

If I do decide to get back into imaging (which I think is very very likely) I will definitely keep observing...I'm really enjoying it. :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

from one south yorkshire lad to another yes i agree i would pick a cheshire over a laser every time because if the laser is out of collimation or too much slop in focuser you will not get accurate results therefore you can actually take a collimated scope out of collimation with a uncollimated laser done it learnt the hard way

from one south yorkshire lad to another yes i agree i would pick a cheshire over a laser every time because if the laser is out of collimation or too much slop in focuser you will not get accurate results therefore you can actually take a collimated scope out of collimation with a uncollimated laser done it learnt the hard way

I've got a Cheshire and have been given a laser that I've collimated......I made a laser collimator stand out of some right angle brackets and a garden post topper which I bolt down securely to a flat surface.

I first used the cheshire to do the collimation.....very strange thing to do the first time but I seem to have got some sort of hang of it. When I checked with the laser it seemed bang on but there is some movement in the focuser so the laser can move a little.

I'll stick with the Cheshire now though.

Last night was clear so I thought I'd stick the 200p tube onto my HEQ5 to have a play with the SynScan V3 Handset. The GOTO worked flawlessly but you have to get into some wierd positions to see through the eyepiece.... :eek: The round things on the tube that sit in the dob base get in the way when trying to turn the tube in the rings. Is there an easy way to remove these or is it not recommended?

Anyone got the 200p to work with an EQ mount??

Oh, I made a dewshield out of the excercise mat and it worked flawlessly. I've had the dob out now about 5 times and each time the secondary dewed up after about an hour but last night i spent 4 hours with only the eyepiece and RDF dewing up. A quick blast from my hairdryer sorted that.

Cheers

Archived