NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New toy. Very excited.

Well after trying to talk myself out of spending the cash, I finally went ahead and bought myself my first new scope for over ten years. A skywatcher 180 Mak Pro.

Had a quick go at jupiter the other night and have to say I was gobsmacked at the quality of the view at x225. I had only just got it up on the mount and wasn't really concentrating so there must be more to come when I have time to tease out the detail a little more.

I fitted a skywatcher sct focuser as a standard upgrade but the built in focussing knob seems silky smooth with no vibration or flop but will spend more time with this soon. Maybe I can remove the sct focuser. I'll see.

Proper first light report will follow soon hopefully.

Chris.

post-4361-0-67892300-1353257823_thumb.jp

post-4361-0-41271200-1353257886_thumb.jp

post-4361-0-66319800-1353257959_thumb.jp

Very nice. I don't think I've ever seen someone who's owned a 180 Mak criticise it and I know of a number who have sold one and then wished they hadn't so I think you've got a good scope there.

On a slight tangent, any chance of a few pics of the mount in daylight at some point? It looks quite a beast. I'd love a proper view of it.

James

Yep they're very nice scopes but bit of a sleeper really. That looks very fine - but as above, I'd like to see more of the mount too! Is it made from farm machinery? I presume it's home made?

Have a great time with that scope and can I suggest you invest in some form of dew prevention; either a dew shield or a dew heater strip - or both. You WILL need something to keep it at bay.

Clear skies,

Ant

Very nice. I don't think I've ever seen someone who's owned a 180 Mak criticise it and I know of a number who have sold one and then wished they hadn't so I think you've got a good scope there.

On a slight tangent, any chance of a few pics of the mount in daylight at some point? It looks quite a beast. I'd love a proper view of it.

James

Hello James,

Yes, it is a bit of a beast. It was built by an astronomer/engineer in Dorking and I bought it from him about ten years ago. I think he said he had built it a few years before for a 16'' newt! It is free standing but weighs an absolute tonne so is going nowhere. It has slow motions on both axis and driven on one by a worm wheel & electric motor.

I have been tempted a few times to retire it and get an EQ6 or something but I just can't bring myself to. I could hang my house off it, and as a visual observer the drive is plenty accurate for my purposes.

I'll take a few pics next weekend.

Chris.

Yep they're very nice scopes but bit of a sleeper really. That looks very fine - but as above, I'd like to see more of the mount too! Is it made from farm machinery? I presume it's home made?

Have a great time with that scope and can I suggest you invest in some form of dew prevention; either a dew shield or a dew heater strip - or both. You WILL need something to keep it at bay.

Clear skies,

Ant

hi Ant,

Just spent the morning at work making a big dew shield from some dark grey matting material. I heard they are dew magnets. :smiley:

Excellent scope, the dew shield wants to be about the length of the ota, when viewing Jupiter i tend to use an 18mm BGO @ 150 mag, with the option of dropping a barlow in for 300x......dont ignore deep sky objects with it :grin:

Archived