NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please advise on a telescope for a £150 max budget

Hi all.

A friend of mine would like to buy his dad a telescope and has max £150 to spend on it. I guess his dad would start off with the moon then maybe the other bodies in our solar system, so probably not needing to look as DSO's with it.

If you could connect a camera that would be a bonus. I still have not bought my own scope yet so I can't help him as much as I would like that's why I'm asking you guys :)

thanks in advance

+1 on the Skywatcher Heritage 130p dob. Good optics and easy to use.

You don't want to spend anything less on a telescope. The 130p dob is the cheapest reasonable telescope on todays market, anything less and you will be better off with binoculars.

+1 on the Skywatcher Heritage 130p dob. Good optics and easy to use.

You don't want to spend anything less on a telescope. The 130p dob is the cheapest reasonable telescope on todays market, anything less and you will be better off with binoculars.

The Hertitage 130P really is an amazing scope. Not the best for photos, but the Moon and planets are possible. You will be AMAZED at just what this scope can/will show you.

Yes, you get two eyepieces to get you started.

You will want to tell your friend to download Stellarium from www.stellarium.org to get a nice tool to see what objects are available in the sky at any given time. If you got money to spend, consider getting a copy of "Turn Left At Orion" as it is a very good guide book for the night sky and will give you a real idea of what to expect from each object.

At some point you might want to collimate, but with the primarty mirror so small, it's not really an issue at the beginning. If you get in touch with your local astronomical society, they might even give you a hand with collimating.

Thanks again! We will check out Stellarium :)

I guess the general consensus would be to go for a manual scope first not a tracking mount would it? Would a tracking one be possible for this budget or just best to stick with manual?

The manuals that come with most commercially available scopes tend to be basic and/or confusing. Largely written in "chinglish" and often omit key points unfortunately. A motorised scope brand new with your budget is probably out of the question. But you should be able to pick up one second hand for around that price. I sold a 130P on EQ2 with RA drive for £135 18mths ago which was near enough the going rate.

Keep an eye on the for sale section here - and also "UK Astro Buy Sell" website where there's loads of stuff. It's usually accurately described and you can pick up a bargin in near new condition if you're lucky. :)

I'd agree that new the Heritage 130P is almost impossible to beat. You obviously get more for the money second hand, but then it depends what turns up. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility to put the 130P on a motorised mount at some future date.

James

I would go for the Evostar 90 on an AZ mount at £140.

I think the 130 is described as a table top scope so you have to stand it on something to use it, the eyepiece is going to be just a yards or so off of the grond. Does his father want to carry a table out each time?, and as time goes on it needs collimating to maintain it. Not a big job but has to be factored in.

I would go for the Evostar 90 on an AZ mount at £140.

I think the 130 is described as a table top scope so you have to stand it on something to use it, the eyepiece is going to be just a yards or so off of the grond. Does his father want to carry a table out each time?, and as time goes on it needs collimating to maintain it. Not a big job but has to be factored in.

One might equally ask "Does his father want to carry a mount out each time?" Having tables already in gardens isn't entirely unheard of :)

I wouldn't disagree that the Evostar 90 is worthy of consideration depending on his circumstances, particularly as the OP says his interests may well lean towards solar system objects. It's really a question of balancing potential magnification against light-gathering ability, I guess.

James

If you are going for a new scope, I was going to recommend the Evostar 90 as well. The main advantage of the 130P would be that it will be better for taking pictures. However, your friend will pick up a much better deal 2nd hand IMO, Astro Buy & Sell often has some decent scopes at that price.

Archived