NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1, Crab Nebula

lukebl

Hi all,

I had this go at the Crab nebula last night, just using HA and Oiii filters, with the green channel synthesised with Noel's Actions in Photoshop.

12 x 600s exposures each of HA and Oiii, SXVF-H9 camera, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian. Stacked in DSS and tweaked in Photoshop. First proper attempt with my new Off-axis guiding setup and I'm quite pleased with the guiding accuracy. Certainly better than I was managing with a separate guidescope.

8174800122_feec811357_c.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. I just realised that focus was a bit out on the HA channel, so I re-jigged the image just using the Oiii for the luminance. So, although it's a bit noisy, I think it shows a lot more fine detail now.

8174975871_55cd3c15d4_c.jpg

Nice Luke, the Crab is a favourite of mine, I was also imaging it last night :)

It might be worth you having a play with the colour palette used and swap the assignments about a bit, there are over three levels of emission in the red wavelengths alone with the crab, not to mention the broadband cloud at the front, it is sometimes surprising what detail comes out under different colour schemes.

At any rate, its already a fine image, very nicely done.

Cheers

Tim

Archived