Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Narrowband M31

Kai

Tonight i tried out a new narrowband filter (Baader 7nm Hydrogen Alpha) that i got from FLO.

Conditions were not that good with what seemed like a high fog hanging in the air and toward the end of the 25 90 second subs alot of dew was forming.

I used the ED80 with a 0.5 Focal Reducer on the Atik 16.

1591_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Very Nice Steve, what purpose is the narrow band? I thought that narrow band filters were mostly used on nebulae.

You have some nice dust lanes coming through and I think that you have a cracking image from our Light polluted skies!

M31 is so HARD...

Ant

Very Nice Steve, what purpose is the narrow band? I thought that narrow band filters were mostly used on nebulae.

Owww i dont know Ant !!! :lol:

I got the filter to do the Horsehead later on this year and as the conditions were not all that i thought i would have a play to see what happens.I suppose it has cut out a lot of the Lp being only 7nm.

I suppose i could get another narrowband dataset and combine in a false colour image

Steve, the narrow band will certainly get rid of your LP but it will also take out 93% of the light from M31 :lol: Ha works best on emission nebulae when most of the light is exactly in the Ha band. Nearly all the light from the neb is grabbed but only a very small amount of moonlight/LP etc. An Ha layer is often added to galaxy images to help pick out the Ha regions within the galaxy.

Archived