Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My permanent set-up (ish)

earth titan

After nearly a year of improving equipment and trading up, I now have the kit in the obsy that gives me what I feel is the best compromise. The brief I set myself was to come up with a permanent set up, that would give me visual options and imaging without the hassle of stripping it all apart every time I want to change. As always these things are a compromise but this is as close as I think I can get without spending an absolute fortune.

The mount

An NEQ6 controlled via an EQMOD module and CDC

Saddle mount

This came from TS and is super robust.

Visual scope

Celestron C9.25. From lots of research, this seems to be the best choice for an all round general viewing / planetary imaging scope while keeping the weight down. Certainly the initial visual sessions on Jupiter suggest it really packs a punch.

Imaging scope

Revelation 80mm semi APO

This is a beautiful scope and is the one used for imaging. The quality of finish is superb and for the price (2nd hand off the bay) it is an excellent performer. With the FPL53 glass it has the same crown element as some of the higher end 80mm refractors without the same price tag and seems to perform just as well.

Guide scope

An Altair Astro 10x60 finder guider. Works a treat and is very light. I've drilled and tapped two extra holes on the TS saddle to mount the rings directly there which saves weight and reduces flex.

Guide cam

QHY5 running autoguided to the mount.

Main camera

Modded Canon 1000d.

Still some areas I can lighten the set up. For example, the focuser on the C9.25 is going to be replaced by a 2" visual back and when imaging with the 80mm, the finder on the C9.25 will be removed as will all of the focuser / diagonal etc. In fact the mount was balanced in this stripped down format.

Time will tell if this is going to 'really' work. I'm hoping it is and have everything crossed. I've tested it visually and everything is fantastic. Just need a clear spell to test the imaging, but the load on the mount is around 15Kg in imaging mode so should be fine. Too much from some purists but hey, everything is a compromise.

post-6511-0-00762100-1351597882_thumb.jp

Revelation 80mm semi APO

This is a beautiful scope and is the one used for imaging. The quality of finish is superb and for the price (2nd hand off the bay) it is an excellent performer. With the FPL53 glass it has the same crown element as some of the higher end 80mm refractors without the same price tag and seems to perform just as well.

.....so it was you bidding against me! Nice set up, looks the business. Till I saw the photo I didn't think it was all going to be on the mount at the same time!

Great setup, similar to mine except I have a fork mounted CPC 925 and an Equinox 80 on an HEQ5, even have the Altair finder scope like you.

Mine is all kept in the garage and wheeled out as required.

Now if only the clouds would go.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That all looks great on the mount Tom, I too didn't realise you meant all at the same time!:D I guess this means you're getting on well with the mainly plywood adaptor? I'm fairly close to mounting my 100% ply pier adaptor now and was a bit worried about having to keep the weight down to maybe a 150p and guidescope but maybe not after seeing this:D

.....so it was you bidding against me!

Presume you mean the Revelation? If s, sorry :-D :-D

I saw it and had to go for it. I love the Revelation kit and really don't know why more people don't rate it.

The scopes are really superbly made for the price. I strongly recommend to anyone looking for a good value frac.

I guess this means you're getting on well with the mainly plywood adaptor?

Perhaps fair to say the adaptor is 60% ply. The main loadbearing mounting plate is aluminium but the ply sections seem to perform very well. 18mm ply is tough stuff though and I reckon 100% is easily dooable, although I recommend big flat washers under bolts, to spread clamping forces.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

.....so it was you bidding against me! Nice set up, looks the business. Till I saw the photo I didn't think it was all going to be on the mount at the same time!

It was a close one ;-)

These are wonderful scopes and well made. They also lack the high price tag of some other 80mm FPL53 scopes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well last night was the 1st proper test of the whole system.

Crystal clear skies and an early start.

Visual with C9.25

This was stunning. The usual suspects (M1, M33, M42, everything in Auriga) using Skywatcher Aeros.

M42 was fantastic - picked up more texture than I ever have from the back garden.

Jupiter next. Fantastic detail right down to 9mm Plossl. Lower than that the seeing disintegrated a little but this is mostly down to my location as the ecliptic is above the town and all the heating / houses.

After a few hours, I decided to have a quick go at imaging before bed.

Imaging with ED80

Only a quick shot of M42 (about 20mins) as it was nearly 1:00 am but as this was the first time we had had any time with clear skies, I thought I ought to.

post-6511-0-66373000-1353237614_thumb.jp

So the verdict on the set up?

Chuffed to bits!

Good visual set up with both DSOs and planetary easily in the capability of the C9.25. This truly is an awesome scope and in my opinion, the best I have ever used - particularly for versatility.

But the best bit is the ability to quickly switch to imaging. If I am going to improve anything, it will be the ED80 and my cameras but I'll give the bank balance a rest for a while!

Hi Tom,

Glad it's all working well, and that's a nice looking image! I've heard a lot of good reviews on the C9.25 of late, and I've never heard a bad word said about the ED80, which is currently sat at the top of my wishlist!

How have you constructed the obsy itself? I'm starting the planning for one myself so I'm fascinated to see how people are setting themselves up!

Hi Tom,

Glad it's all working well, and that's a nice looking image! I've heard a lot of good reviews on the C9.25 of late, and I've never heard a bad word said about the ED80, which is currently sat at the top of my wishlist!

How have you constructed the obsy itself? I'm starting the planning for one myself so I'm fascinated to see how people are setting themselves up!

Just to clarify the ED80 in question is not the Skywatcher one but one manufactured by Revelation. Still just as good, IMHO ;-)

As for the obsy, it was an organic process dictated by the space available and the restrictions dictated by SWMBO.

Archived