NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I get ripped off on my 2" inch diagonal + 40mm EP on NexStar 6SE?

deckardbr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be careful that a 2" diagonal does not clash with your mount during the alignment process, the extra length of the 2" diagonal can cause this. There are other issues such as balance and extra vibrations to consider.
In addition I would not put my Ethos in danger by relying on those tiny little screws on the visual back that hold the diagonal in place, a click-lock would be a must !!!!

4 minutes ago, Pig said:

Be careful that a 2" diagonal does not clash with your mount during the alignment process, the extra length of the 2" diagonal can cause this. There are other issues such as balance and extra vibrations to consider.
In addition I would not put my Ethos in danger by relying on those tiny little screws on the visual back that hold the diagonal in place, a click would be a must !!!!

This is why I'm not just buying any 2" diagonal and I'm trying to find someone who has the setup I hope to have a Nexstar 6se with a 2" diagonal and a 21 ethos.

There are diagonals for SCTs but there's a good few out there and as you pointed out one could be to big and clash with my mount.

Richard

12 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

This is why I'm not just buying any 2" diagonal and I'm trying to find someone who has the setup I hope to have a Nexstar 6se with a 2" diagonal and a 21 ethos.

There are diagonals for SCTs but there's a good few out there and as you pointed out one could be to big and clash with my mount.

Richard

This one is very good and I used this when I had a C8.

https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/diagonals/diagonal-dielectric-99-quartz-lx.html

13 minutes ago, Richard Hather said:

It looks fine. It's probably pretty much the same unit that is sold under other brands as well as many of these things are.

I've owned 2" dielectric diagonals by William Optics, Revelation, Meade, Telescope Services, Tele Vue and Astro Physics and their performance is very similar. The final two brands are a small cut above the others in terms of build and quality but you pay a big price premium for that (and those brand names !).

2 hours ago, John said:

It looks fine. It's probably pretty much the same unit that is sold under other brands as well as many of these things are.

I've owned 2" dielectric diagonals by William Optics, Revelation, Meade, Telescope Services, Tele Vue and Astro Physics and their performance is very similar. The final two brands are a small cut above the others in terms of build and quality but you pay a big price premium for that (and those brand names !).

Excellent I remember reading a review on diagonals and you said there isn't much difference optically anyway between diagonals it's mainly build quality your paying for.

Will this diagonal fit straight into my 6se I won't need to buy anything extra to fit it will I?

Richard

Archived