Problem with Telrad?

So, received my Telrad from FLO this morning, just over two weeks on back-order so very happy! :grin:

The only thing is, when I switch on the reticle, it appears blurred in the glass - sort of like I'm looking at it being reflected in several sheets of glass, i.e. there's the main reticle image projected onto the window, but then a slightly fainter blurrier equivalent offset a little bit which may make it hard to use. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

I'm probably being impatient and should actually try it out on the night sky before becoming convinced there's a problem, but still... :huh:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I much prefer my Telrad over a red dot finder. The red "target" is a reflection as you say, but I've never noticed any colour other than red. I've only used it at night and turning the brightness up & down, plus being a good distance from the Telrad when using it, makes for an easy finding experience for me. Hope you can test it out tonight. Good luck!

So I'm looking at the glass from the end with the 3 adjusting screws, which I think is the correct end!

Exactly right.

Once you get it aligned on your scope and you've used it a couple of times you'll wonder how you ever found anything without it.

Still clouded out tonight, but fingers crossed!

I asked my wife, who's a physicist with training in optics... She reckons that the problem is I'm trying to focus on the reticle itself, but really I should be focussing on infinity, i.e. the star field behind the reticle, and it should resolve once I do that! Don't know why I always ask SGL to solve my problems before asking my wife ;)

Just waiting for some cloud free sky now... :)

Still too cloudy to test outside... I'm hoping there isn't a problem with the positioning of the reticle projector, if it's too close or too far from the mirror. Best wait and see how it performs in the field, as it were. If there's still a problem I'll have to get back to FLO about it.

Oh well, too cloudy, the moon has everthing lit up like a Christmas tree, and it's blowing a gale. Just about to call it a night, when Vega appeared from behind the cotton wool. A quick look through with both eyes open at a reasonable distance and the image appears sharp, so it looks like all is well... :biggrin:

I'm not going out in that howling gale though - fingers crossed for tomorrow night! :sad2:

Glad you got it sussed :)

Thanks! :smile:

Fairly rubbish viewing session tonight unfortunately - I hope my experience wasn't typical. The hoped-for clear skies were blocked out by a load of bizzare high altitude "herringbone" clouds, lit up by the moon. I did get the chance to line up the telrad though, and it's definitely working fine. Just needed to get my eye in I think!

Or it might be a problem with my eye's focus rather than the reticle itself. I took a photo of it and it looks sharp to the camera!

oh right. well as long as you can focus out in the field with it ,should be okay id imagine.

The most I could do with it last night was to confirm what I'd read, that the noon only covers half a degree of sky. So I brought it to the centre circle of the reticle and the moon fit inside, nest as a button. Very surprising, I think the brain plays some serious tricks on us because the moon definitely looms larger in the mind's eye! :)

Archived