Dew Heater tape positioning?

Will be buying a dew tape and controller soon for my C9.25, but was wondering where on the front of the tube the tape goes? Has anyone got a photo of the correct position for placing the heater tape to the front element????

Don't wish to sound dumb, but I have had it explaned to me a couple of times, but I can't get it. Doh!!!! Sometimes there is no substitute for a good old picture. On the C9.25 tube the dovetail bar comes nearly to the end, so does the tape fit over this? Also I have an Astrozap flexible dewsheild which I assume would then go over the heatertape?

Or perhaps I should just scrub the separate tape and sheild and get one of the heatertape/ dewsheild combos?

You'd wrap the dew tape round the corrector plate - which is the bit that catches the dew. My dewshield goes over the top of that. It's a tricky fit sometimes but it does work. Idealy it needs to go round the OTA only - not the dovetail - however - if the dovetail's in the way then you may well have to go round it - the heat will get through after a while and there's enough band round the rest of it to not make a noticeable difference. HTH :)

On my 8SE the only place it will go is immediately behind the thick black plastic corrector plate collar, the dew shield fits snugly over this collar. As the collar is made of thick plastic, I think the gentle heating capacity of the heater tape wouldn't get to the corrector plate, as plastic is a very poor heat conductor (unlike metal). The C9.25 is probably similar.

I've been putting mine over the top of my home made dew shield. I also have a long dovetail - Losmandy - so I don't have any metal showing at the bottom of the ota. My anti-dew band is therefore positioned over the plastic corrector plate ring. It seems to work okay. I probably have to have it turned up a bit higher than I other wise would, which is probably draining the battery pack quicker but it was fine last night for about 3 hours viewing with plenty to spare.

Many thanks chaps. I think I am beginning to understand now. Wrap the tape around the metal tube rather than over the plastic end of the ota, but make sure that the tape is pushed up against the plastic end? Without your help I would have put it over the black plastic end. Always worth asking someone in the know otherwise I may have ended up causing some damage and I don't want to do that to a brand new scope that has only been used once.

Cheers again.

Yep - that's what I do too - around the top of the OTA immediately behind the raised plastic end. Then the dew shield fits snugly around the plastic bit. I've also had to get a couple of tapes for my EPs now that the weather's turned cold and damp - had a few nights with a lovely clear corrector plate and dewed up EPs!

Many thanks chaps. I think I am beginning to understand now. Wrap the tape around the metal tube rather than over the plastic end of the ota, but make sure that the tape is pushed up against the plastic end? Without your help I would have put it over the black plastic end. Always worth asking someone in the know otherwise I may have ended up causing some damage and I don't want to do that to a brand new scope that has only been used once.

Cheers again.

Wrapping it around the plastic wont cause damage, but it wont keep the lens clear unless you have the heater set to full blast and that will drain your power tank.

Right behind the plastic cuff and touching the metal of the tube is the place to put it.

Iv just got my tapes and controller, heres some pictures to show how I have set things up,

the controller is held on the tripod with velcro, and cables tied together with small cable ties, just to keep it tidy,

thers no way the dew sheild would fit over the tape, so I put it behind the plastic, but from what iv read above, it seems to be the way to go,

im going to put a long cable tie around the OTA to hold the wires in place, iv them positioned with a piece of celotape, till I get cable ties tomorow,

post-9485-0-63880600-1351295487_thumb.jp

post-9485-0-29771900-1351295519_thumb.jp

post-9485-0-58470300-1351295541_thumb.jp

post-9485-0-20793600-1351295561_thumb.jp

Thanks a million Space3 for the photos. Aah. You slot the heater tape under the Dovetail bar then? Another very helpful tip. Do you also have a Dewsheild???? I have one and was contemplating using it in conjunction with a heatertape, but If you don't think it is necessary then I might not use it. I was told by someone at FLO that large dewsheilds can become a bit of a wind magnet.

Also looking at your photos, what kind of fitting do you use to connect the ota to the mount???? You have the same ota as me, but the mount is different and you don't appear to be holding the ota to the mount via the orange dovetail bar. I was told that this is supposed to be the best way, but surely there must be a better way than gouging out the lovely orange anodising on the dovetail bar?

here is a pic of the dew shield, it may not be needed with the heater strip, but I dont know, iv only got the heater a few days ago and havent tried it out yet, personaly I dont like the idea of having the corrector exposed, I feel using the dew sheild will help keep the corrector clean, dew sheild does make the tube longer so it would be a problem if its breezy out, but I dont go out unless its calm,

the dovetail is used to attach the OTA to the mount, I think your dovetail is narrow compared to mine, also a closer pic so you can see,

you could change your dovetail and up grade your saddle on your mount if you really wanted to,

post-9485-0-15323300-1351443239_thumb.jp

post-9485-0-00843000-1351443274_thumb.jp

post-9485-0-92321700-1351443297_thumb.jp

Archived