Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Antares 105 f15--spirit of unitron

nightfisher

Just a thought, if you are purely visual how about the skytee 2 mount, has a huge payload

Yes, all powered up, syntrek working, have to say the antares still puts a strain on the HEQ5, i seriously considered the skytee mount, but i need tracking in equatorial axis for lunar imaging

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from Phil j`s with the antares, as it would not come to focus, phil machined up an extension to the OTA tube out of ali billet, this sits between the ota and focuser, it now comes to focus with ease and has the added advantage of adding weight to the rear end, allowing me to "push" the tube further up the rings, giving a better viewing height to the EP.....Pics to folow, and a big thanks to phil :cool:

I have fitted a shorter dove tail, the idea being to remove flex from the bar

Jules, I used to get flex when I used the standard Skywatcher dovetail bar with a 150mm F/8 refractor. I switched to a solid CNC machined DT bar and it made a really noticeable difference.

Thats a nice extension that Phil / yourself have devised. Had the tube of the scope been shortened at some point ?

Not shortened John, guess it was perfect for bino viewers, if that apeals (not me)

the f15 antares is (was) supplied with a tube that is to short to come to focus and they included a black extension but my one lost the factory extension in the past, i have a feeling the f13 elite had the same ota tube with no extension.

one advantage of this modification is the adding of a lump of weight to the rear end, this will allow me to mount the tube a little further forward in the tube rings

It was an interesting one that mod but relatively straightforward, the tube is a bit thin on those so the boss, on the extension that fits into the tube, had to be snug and long so it had plenty of support. Me and my assistant Jules :grin: had fun tapping it out, after testing, with a length of plastic pipe but it now fits a treat, and makes the scope look real cool I reckon :grin:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of you good people will be aware i fell out of favor with this long pointy thing,due to it being hard work on the mount, i have been advertising it but with no luck, the chip in the lens must really put people of, though its invisible against the night sky objects.

So i have given it a reprieve, and keeping it, going to rig up a Hargreave strut mounted on the counter weight shaft to make it more stable.

Will post up when the job is done, thanks to Peter Drew for the idea

Very nice. I bet she pulls in some pretty powerful lunar features. I'd like to see how she manages imaging. If the chip on the flint objective causes excess flare you can instead of stopping down "fill in" the chip with enamel paint!

Very nice. I bet she pulls in some pretty powerful lunar features. I'd like to see how she manages imaging. If the chip on the flint objective causes excess flare you can instead of stopping down "fill in" the chip with enamel paint!

That would be a much smaller reduction in effective aperture. Would keep it much closer to the original 100(ish)mm... ;)

Archived