NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The new SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6GT mount

Ouroboros

No, I'm not sure either. But presumably SW have identified a commercial niche for this mount otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the bother of developing and marketing it. I can't see it myself, but then I'm relatively new to this game. Perhaps the very thing that is missing for those serious about their astronomy is a transformer mount that can be changed from alt-azimuth to equatorial. If so I'd like to know why. I realise this mount has more to it than just this feature but even so .....

Don't knock it.

People wondered why goto, now there is goto for every type of mount, guess 50% of the dobsonians bought are goto's by the number of questions here. Some mounts only come with goto now.

Why have GPS easy enough to know your location and read a watch but again fairly common.

Auto setup and align is slowly appearing, Meade and Celestron/SW both have scopes that do this now.

Why choose between an EQ and Alt/Az mount when this type of mount does both?

At least it can't be negative that it does both things, that is if it doesn't affect the EQ qualities in a negative way. That said, I can't help thinking that AZ is more usable for a more portable quick set up kit. Maybe this hybrid would have been better for one of the lighter EQ models?

the AZ mode would be great for visual newt users as wont get field rotation - i.e EP stays in same place - note in this mode not really suited to imaging. Many nights my EP ended up in non-viewable positions and rotating scope was not easy even with DIY rotating rings.

Also the addition of encoders means can move scope without loosing star alignment in either mode.

So in summay the additions do add value in terms of usefulness. Will be interesting to see people's feedback once available

• 1 month later...

the AZ mode would be great for visual newt users as wont get field rotation - i.e EP stays in same place - note in this mode not really suited to imaging. Many nights my EP ended up in non-viewable positions and rotating scope was not easy even with DIY rotating rings.

You'd get field rotation in Alt-Az mode. Unless you had a field rotator on the focuser then this mode is useless for long-exposure DSO imaging?

Archived