Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Logitech Fusion webcam - how to smash it open?

Kaptain Klevtsov

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I did mine KK, I found it not too difficult. I put it into a 3"x2"x1.5" plastic box from Maplin. I machined a 2" adaptor from Teflon.

I was a bit careless when I unscrewed the lens holder. I cut it in half and replaced the half with the IR filter, but I must have left a bit of swarf on it and it got on to the chip. I had one hell of a job cleaning it off.

I put a small 5volt on the back of the box, picking the supply from the USB cable. I don't know if it helps any, but I did it anyway. I might remove it coz it's a noisy little git.

Ron :lol:

I'm not much good at soldering and electronics. So I liked the stone age approach here:

http://www.astroturtle.com/webcam.htm

Which seems to just require popping the quickcam open, whipping out the lens, then popping it shut and gaff-taping an empty 35mm film canister onto the front. Or a metal tube that will fit into a 1.25" eyepiece holder.

Before I sacrifice one (probably more) quickcams, has anyone else tried this?

And where can I get the metal tube from? Suspect 35mm film canisters are fairly rare nowadays.

Amazing image of Jupiter & Io, legion48.

Good point about filters. Unfortunately I haven't been in this game long enough to have a spare eye piece tube.

Sorry for the stupid question - is it worth buying a cheap eyepiece then unscrewing the lens? Or can you buy the tubes on their own?

Amazing image of Jupiter & Io, legion48.

Good point about filters. Unfortunately I haven't been in this game long enough to have a spare eye piece tube.

Sorry for the stupid question - is it worth buying a cheap eyepiece then unscrewing the lens? Or can you buy the tubes on their own?

Thanks mate. :lol:

I dunno if you can buy the tubes on their own or not but you can get an eyepiece on Ebay for less than a tenner.

I've just bought one of these Logitech Fusions from Ebay tonight, so I've been checking my eyepieces. I seem to have a 6mm that's pretty rubbish so I may try that one on the webcam. One thing I have noticed is that many of my eyepiece "tubes" are different lengths and I'm not sure what the optimum length should be. I guess it's going to be trial and error. Also, I think the inside of the eyepiece tube may have to be painted black.

You can buy the proper adaptor to fit webcams, whereby they just screw into the camera once you have removed the lens. You will need to ensure from the supplier that he does have the correct one for the Logitech Fusion, as it is a different size from such as the Toucam.

. I am sure the Astronomiser does them.

Ron.

Tried WcCtrl as recommended on the linked site, but that doesn't seem to do a lot. It looks like it might be an interface between the camera and other software, but I'm unsure. K3CCD Tools seems to work to some degree, but the file writing is slow on my joke laptop so it could be that which is at fault.

Nero Capture has been mentioned, but I don't have that installed ATM, and the disc I have will be old (free bundled software from ages ago).

Some tips in this direction would be appreciated.

Kaptain Klevtsov

What exactly is "Open" about Open Video Capture?

I don't know if the answer is in this blurb. It's what 008 Soft says.

Open Video Capture

It can capture video from webcam, TV Tuner card, digital video, digital camera and other capture devices. It can set video compression codec and audio compression codec, output frame size and frame rate. It also snapshots pictures with the hotkey. It can set each capture device's properties, preview and record real-time video, watch TV if TV Tuner is installed. It supports open compression system for video and audio. It encodes AVI files with DIVX, XVID, Windows Media Audio and Video Codec, DV Video Encoder, etc.

Cheers Ron. :lol:

Seem to have found a fool-proof web cam and adapter (the proof of the fool is in the fitting). The adapter is made specifically for the Phillips SPC 900NC...

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?pointerid=9E1B652BB80C425CB73FBC18CD8E43B1&thelang=001lngdef

And they have a link to fitting instructions here:

http://www.robertreeves.com/900NC.htm

Questions:

- has anyone else tried this?

- is £19.99 a reasonable price for an adaptor?

Hi Daneel,

I bought one and fitted it with no problem at all. Is it worth £19.99? It was to me because I have no metal bashing skills. In fairness, it is well made and a good fit, but is just a lump of aluminium with a thread on the sticky out bit.

Mike

Hi Daneel,

I bought one and fitted it with no problem at all. Is it worth £19.99? It was to me because I have no metal bashing skills. In fairness, it is well made and a good fit, but is just a lump of aluminium with a thread on the sticky out bit.

Mike

Just checking. Was it the Logitech Fusion that you fitted this adapter to?

Archived