Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Logitech Fusion webcam - how to smash it open?

Kaptain Klevtsov

KK CAn you post some images/instructions regarding the mod for astro use? I posted a question asking what was the best webcam for planetry but this appears to be it!

Have you used it yet? What are the results?

There are a few going for good prices on ebay at the moment!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blinky, I've had the Fusion for a week now and I have yet to get it to take a "long" exposure. I've tried all the software mentioned in this thread but it still won't do longer than about 1/25 of a second or so, no matter what the softwares settings say! :D

The fabled long exposure has eluded me too, so far. For planets though, you wouldn't need a long exposure modification. The big plus with these is that the chip is as sensitive as the Toucam, but has twice the resolution. It gets the data into the computer faster as well because it uses USB2, so no dropped frames even at full resolution. :D

To mount it in a box, I removed the casing as per webpage in the second post above, and left the last bit of casing hanging on the cable. I then drilled a hole for the lens thread (lens removed - carefully - its glued on) to poke through. From inside the box I attached the PCB using hot melt glue to hold the thing in position. A notch in the edge of the box allows the cable through between the box and the lid, the remaining bit of case stops the cable pulling through.

Now on the outside of the box, I used a T mount that was lying about. By removing the Pentax bit (three tiny screws on the edge of the T mount) I had a flat surface which I superglued onto the outside of the box. A nosepiece fits into the T thread when the glue has dried.

The superglue has since come off as I knocked it putting it into the drawer in the dark, so its getting some screws as well soon.

Kaptain Klevtsov

• 1 month later...

Archived