Problem with viewing Jupiter (and possibly other planets)

Hi there.

I was up just before dawn today to get a chance to use my Celestron 130EQMD by viewing Jupiter. I found it alright, and I was able to see Jupiter aswell as all of its moons. However, it was just a bright white blob, just like a star. I couldn't make out any actual detail on it. The bands on it were not visible at all.

A picture I took using the digiscoping method with a poor quality camera:

post-25986-0-58774400-1350215221_thumb.j

The magnification isn't the problem here, I only used the 10mm eyepeice because I haven't got an adapter for the camera yet and the object is easily knocked out of the frame when putting the lens to the eyepeice.

I know the moons aren't visible here, but that's the cameras fault. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I see more detail on the planets themselves? More specifically, how can I see more detail on Jupiter? Thank you in advance.

Hi there.

I was up just before dawn today to get a chance to use my Celestron 130EQMD by viewing Jupiter. I found it alright, and I was able to see Jupiter aswell as all of its moons. However, it was just a bright white blob, just like a star. I couldn't make out any actual detail on it. The bands on it were not visible at all.

A picture I took using the digiscoping method with a poor quality camera:

post-25986-0-58774400-1350215221_thumb.j

The magnification isn't the problem here, I only used the 10mm eyepeice because I haven't got an adapter for the camera yet and the object is easily knocked out of the frame when putting the lens to the eyepeice.

I know the moons aren't visible here, but that's the cameras fault. Has anyone got any suggestions on how I see more detail on the planets themselves? More specifically, how can I see more detail on Jupiter? Thank you in advance.

Well I may be wrong so someone will correct me if thats the case, but try using a 2x barlow lens which will make it two times bigger which will make planets larger, giving you more detail.

Well I may be wrong so someone will correct me if thats the case, but try using a 2x barlow lens which will make it two times bigger which will make planets larger, giving you more detail.

A barlow doesnt always improve detail, it can sometimes hinder it as the objects becomes too blurry when the seeing is not great.

Lots of people are disappointed when their first small telescope does not give images comparable to those they have seen from Hubble.

I agree but i dont think that this is the case here.

As Spec chum said above, it could of been the conditions. The fact you can see the moons says to me the scope is ok, its just the details, but you have nothing to compare the views too. Try again another night, on hopefully a better condition night and see what you can see then.

Jupiter needs a least x100 to start seeing details. In addition views can be fickle depending on seeing conditions. At the moment it's a very bright target and a filter is advisable.

This morning at x120 I managed to see the end of the traverse of the GRS, details to other bands in addition to festoons along the edge of the belts. You have to spend some time getting your eye in and checking the focus, which can vary across the disc.It's an amazing sight and worth plugging away at,

Nick.

Also it depends when you view Jupiter. It is very tempting to start observing as soon as it pops up above the horizon, but you have to bear in mind that you are viewing it through a large volume of (moving) air. If you can wait until it is nearing its zenith you should get a more stable image.

Personally, I only find Jupiter to be too bright when I'm very dark adapted. However, when it comes to seeing detail it's a case of the brighter the better: you see more detail that way because the circuits in your retina that process detailed visual information work better in brighter conditions. So if I want to do planetary observing I'd rather light-adapt than filter down the view to make it dimmer.

Otherwise, yes, I agree: wait until it's high in the sky (which you did in this case). Don't expect the photo to show what you saw visually (it takes a lot of experience to produce photos that good). Make sure your telescope is collimated. You should be able to see bands with your instrument. edit: oh, and be persistent!

Personally, I only find Jupiter to be too bright when I'm very dark adapted. However, when it comes to seeing detail it's a case of the brighter the better: you see more detail that way because the circuits in your retina that process detailed visual information work better in brighter conditions. So if I want to do planetary observing I'd rather light-adapt than filter down the view to make it dimmer.

Otherwise, yes, I agree: wait until it's high in the sky (which you did in this case). Don't expect the photo to show what you saw visually (it takes a lot of experience to produce photos that good). Make sure your telescope is collimated. You should be able to see bands with your instrument. edit: oh, and be persistent!

Agreed!!

Great advice!

I noticed the seeing wasn't particularly good last night, stars were really twinkling and my 12.5mm gave a more detailed image than my 8mm BST. Try it again a different night, and also make sure your lenses are not Dewey.

Dewey?

Lots of people are disappointed when their first small telescope does not give images comparable to those they have seen from Hubble.

I'm not disappointed by the result becuase I know the telescope if capable of more, I understand images I will get wont even scratch the ones Hubble gets.

I would say that you certaily should see some detail. It looks to me like a dew problem or perhaps collimation. First check on a different night / conditions. Check for dew! it can sneak up and ruin the view. If there is no dew present, and the image is still poor check that the scope is collimated o/k More magnification doesn`t mean more detail. infact 120x should show some detail Also, make sure you give the scope enough time to cool down.Very often a cause of poor viewing on its own.

Bob

Archived