Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New W/O Zenitstar 71 ed apo

WO and their 70-72mm scopes are getting odd.

First a 72mm, then a 70mm now a 71mm.

Since the glass isn't quoted as FPL-53 I would say that they are still making the lens with FPL-51, nothing bad in that but basically the same doublet as the original 72.

The new 70mm never seemed to get the praise that the 72mm did and being cynical I wonder if this is an attempt to get interest back in what is very much the same scope. 1mm extra diameter could simply be a slight removal of metal around the front housing, hell it could have been 71mm anyway.

If they want to update the line then an FPL-53 doublet at f/6.5 or f/7 would interest me.

The new William Optics ZS71 ED 2013 was unexpectedly announced four days ago. It has a new objective with an FPL51 (we presume) ED element. It also has a larger 2-inch (the previous model was1.6-inch) Rack & Pinion focuser with a higher payload capacity and smoother action than the previous model. Physically it is larger (wider diameter) and heaver. They also have a new 0.8x flattener/reducer in the pipeline. Looking at the spec and photos it looks rather like the earlier Megrez-72.

We'll know more when they arrive.

HTH,

Steve

I would like something of this size but the "model" seems to change so rapidly that I would guess in 12 months they would bring out another "improved" version (gold anodisation), or jut drop it all together.

Not sure of the situation, the scope looks like the new 81's but is a doublet not a triplet and unlike many of the megrez line of doublets it uses FPL-51 still not FPL-53.

Really think they should have been brave and revamped the whole thing, and not done what looks like a cosmetic job.

Not sure of the situation, the scope looks like the new 81's but is a doublet not a triplet and unlike many of the megrez line of doublets it uses FPL-51 still not FPL-53.

A triplet at this price would be a nightmare. And FPL-53 is generally reserved for larger refractors with thicker glass elements (consider the Zenithstar 66, highly regarded yet uses FPL-51). For most people wanting a compact and affordable refractor for a mix of wide-field imaging and guidescoping the benefit gained from using FPL-53 would not justify the increased cost.

Steve :smiley:

This 71mm should be a pretty good little ED, the updated version of the R&P should be decent as it now sports 2" with 1.25" reducer, ideal for a grab an go scope and some thing to do a bit of basic dslr imaging work

• 4 weeks later...

Looks an interesting little scope - what are the options for adding a finder/guider? Notice that there are a couple of screw holes in the picture on the website. Just wondering if a skywatcher finder foot could be attached like on the TS 65

A triplet at this price would be a nightmare. And FPL-53 is generally reserved for larger refractors with thicker glass elements (consider the Zenithstar 66, highly regarded yet uses FPL-51). For most people wanting a compact and affordable refractor for a mix of wide-field imaging and guidescoping the benefit gained from using FPL-53 would not justify the increased cost.

Steve :smiley:

Personally I cannot see why an FPL-53 doublet was not considered. It would certainly have caught more attention. This looks more like a couple of cosmetic updates.

There are a lot of good fpl-51 doublets, but if only fpl-51's were made then it could be said there are no sales of fpl-53 doublets. But that is not because thay are not wanted just not available. I suspect that the WO product line is based on the US market not the European meaning that perhaps the market there is already taken by people like StellarVue and others.

Also a triplet at that cost may be a nightmare, lets be honest an fpl-53 triplet would not be the same cost as an fpl-51 doublet - we all know that, but I do not see shelves full of GT-81's in retailers shops waiting to be sold. Maybe small good triplets do actually sell.

Looks an interesting little scope - what are the options for adding a finder/guider? Notice that there are a couple of screw holes in the picture on the website. Just wondering if a skywatcher finder foot could be attached like on the TS 65

Ah guess this is what will fit - anyone know if this is correct assumption?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/william-optics-finder-bracket.html

Personally I cannot see why an FPL-53 doublet was not considered. It would certainly have caught more attention.

70mm FPL-51 doublets at this price are popular (using FPL-53 would increase the price). I guess WO are just keeping their offering up-to-date.

This looks more like a couple of cosmetic updates.

It has a new R&P focuser, a new lens cell and a new Megrez-style body...

There are a lot of good fpl-51 doublets, but if only fpl-51's were made then it could be said there are no sales of fpl-53 doublets. But that is not because thay are not wanted just not available.

I am sure we can find you a 70mm doublet with expensive ED glass, if that is what you are looking for :smiley:

Generally speaking the case for posh ED glass grows stronger as the telescope aperture increases.

I suspect that the WO product line is based on the US market not the European...

That is true of pretty-much all telescope manufacturers. The US market dominates.

meaning that perhaps the market there is already taken by people like StellarVue and others.

I wouldn't know about that :angel:

I do not see shelves full of GT-81's in retailers shops waiting to be sold. Maybe small good triplets do actually sell.

I am not sure what you mean. An 80mm triplet is quite different to a 70mm doublet.

(The GT81 was a limited edition so is no longer available).

Hope that helps,

Steve

Archived