Barlow - worth it?

Greetings!

A barlow doubles the flexibility of all your eyepieces, it doubles the "zoom" of the eyepiece. So if you have a 2x Barlow and add it to a 16mm eyepiece, the eyepiece becomes a 8mm one. It's a must have in my eyes (lol pun). I am not very good with brands since I'm new but there are a ton of threads on this and the veterans should probably be able to help you with specifics.

I ordered a kit with decent Plössls and a Barlow, but I might go for a high quality 2 inch barlow at some point.

Carl

Without with barlow

25mm - > 12,5mm

10mm - > 5mm

6mm - > 3mm

Since 12,5mm is pretty close to 10mm and 5mm is pretty close to 6mm I'd say you already have a pretty good range as it is without one.

But if you want too zoom your 6mm down to 3mm its very good.

Hope this helps a bit

I would say stick to purchasing ep's, I find that I prefer not to use a Barlow, even though I have a pretty good one, when viewing I prefer to increase the mag more gradually. Doubling it sometimes you just lose the object altogether.

It depends, what scope do you have? If you zoom up too much with an already powerful scope, you will get too much atmospheric distortion and also risk losing track of the the planet if it goes outside of view. Higher magnification isn't always better.

Here you can enter your paramters and get a rough idea of what you're going to get http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm .

Archived