Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

N0 cash in the ATIK.....a choice....please help!

cloudbuster

Cash in the Atik?....i wish there was!

but i have enough saved to begin looking at a choice. I have an sw 80 refractor:

please help me decide between the following 2 CCD cameras for deep sky imaging:

a second-hand Atik 16hr for £500

or

a brand-new Atik 314e for £725

hoping someone can help?

cheers

bob

Well, the Atik 16hr is a icx285 ExView mono chip with 1392x1040 pixels - same as my SXVR-H9 and the Atik 314l+.

The Atik 314e uses a icx205 colour chip with the same pixel count but is only 6.5x4.8 mm (4.65 micron pixels), compared to the 9x6.7mm with 6.5u pixels of the icx285.

So: do you want a small colour camera or a bigger mono one?

thanks pete....a bigger mono one it is then...the 16hr.

(by the way....since my last posting, i've proposed to my girlfriend...and she said 'yes'!

cheers

bob

Congratualtions - I guess that answers the "which CCD" question, too :shocked:

oh, BTW the 314 comes in mono or colour - still the same sensor, tho'

thanks guys.....

.....i'm a bit worried tho......she's already on ebay!!!!

no really....she's a lovely girl, who's encouraged me back into this hobby after a really difficult 10 years. during this time, i completely lost enthusiasm....now it's BACK!!! it's a measure of how things have turned around, due in every way to Lucy.

on the subject of the ccd....i've located a 2nd hand one for £500. does that sound ok?

bob

Hi Bob,

Firstly ......Congratulations! :grin:

You seem to be 'on a roll' so I would go for the filters now - you will get so much more out of the camera. I have a manual 'Scopeteknix filter-wheel (5 position for 1.25" filters) that I don't use if you would like it (gratis)? After all, I owe you for the night vision torch you kindly gave me! If you have the filter wheel it would be a shame not to buy some filters to go with it!

Regards,

Pete

Congratulations Bob!!

My thoughts on the 16HR is that it is mind numbingly slow for downloads and just generally as it still works on USB1. Compared to my 314L+, it was lucky that it didn't get thrown out of the obs. If you are able to afford £715 for the new Atik, then how about waiting for a 314L+ to come up second hand and put a little more towards it?

Perhaps if you're not using them both together the slowness wouldn't be an issue, but it did my head in. Also, I prefer the set point cooling on the 314L+ rather than the cooling on the 16HR where it goes to 25-27 degree's below ambient. If you are going to use darks, the 16HR will be a lot more tricky to get the temperatures right.

Congratulations Bob and Lucy.

Regarding CCD camera Bob, I saw a 2nd hand Atik314L on sale for £635 (ish) at Kelling by one of the traders. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you the trader's contact details.

One thing I should say, don't go for a smaller chip than this as I even felt the 314 was disappointingly small after the DSLR, though Sara and Dave Smith seem happy enough with it after a DSLR.

Carole

Archived