Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

help me to chose bettwen 20mm ES 100 ,9mm ES 100 and 30mm ES 82

algady

Hi all,

First of all, I'm so sorry for my poor English!

Ok, I realy need some help here, these ep's are just amazing, I have 14mm ES 100 and I want to get 2 more.

so what can you advice me?

my telescope is cpc 800

thanks in advance

Regards

algady

post-26075-0-24052100-1348004764_thumb.j

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i personally would get the 30mm first but i spend most of my time looking at wide views then i would get the 9mm so you have either end covered then you can fill in the missing focal lengths.

thanks for your quick reply, and I think it's good a idea to get 30mm and 9mm

Ok, can anyone tell me which store is better to import them from US of course?

I've only had one session with my 30 in my C8 so far and it looks promising. Check out Damo636's thread about Terminagler because he currently has both the ES and TV Nagler 31mm.

I'd probably go for the 30 for wide FOV as it's a fair bit cheaper than the 20 and use the remainder to put toward a decent planetary EP. The 30 should show you roughly 1/3 more sky than the 20, btw.

...... I've heard very positive reports about them. They're just about to release a (expensive!) 25mm ES100 also.....

I don't think I'd risk a major investment in an eyepiece that Tele Vue says would have to have what they view as unacceptable design compromises. Thats the reason that Al Nagler gave when asked whether there would be a 25mm Ethos anyway.

Just wait a couple of months and the eyepiece guru on CN will test it for us. A 25mm ES100 doesn't need to be as good as Ethos, it just needs to perform as well as other ES100. May be that level of performance isn't good enough for TV, but it will be good enough for most of us. Lets wait for this eyepiece to hit the market and then we can judge it base on its performance rather than speculation.

If JOC succeed in designing a good 25mm 100 deg then it will be good new for us because it means there is now another astro equipment manufacturers with engineers nearly as good as those in TV. Even if they failed, it still a valiant attempt in coming up with a original eyepiece design. They can learn from their mistakes and come up with something better next time.

ps: The 25mm is currently listed as $600 on ES website.

I would go for the 30mm eyepiece first, I would also consider the Meade 30mm UWA from Telescope House 255 Pounds !!!!!!

I bought one while I was in England a couple of weeks back. It is excellent in all my scopes. I struggle to see how the Televue Nagler 31mm could be better. It is the one eyepiece that I will keep that is not a Televue. Maybe the 31mm shines at F 4.4 and thereabouts.

Alan

I have the 14mm, it was probably the first one in the UK and I was an early adopter of it. Serial number 41.

After the initial flush, 100' wow, i kind of went cold on the wide views and found I preferred a smaller field. I went with the 30mm 82'as the wide field EP as the price I paid was very sharp and nothing else could have matched it on price and performance. Its not been a very used EP with me but a session a few weeks ago showed itvto be all that was claimed. Sharp to the field stop in an F9, have yet to really test in an an F5 and with a pretty vast field.

Personally I would rather have had the apentax XW in 30mm and ultimately thats what I will buy.

Below the 14mm I have Pentax XWs because big 100' thing leaves me cold and I value comfortable viewing highervthan large field.

I also have a collection of UO and BGO orthos for high power planetary and also just plain bigh power. Their shatpness of view i rivalled only by the XWs.

In your shoes I would get the 30mm but I would caution that one persons choice in EPs is not for everyone, or even one other person. They are very oersonal things. Yoir scope has a long fl so will be very forgiving on EPs anyway.

Regadrding the new ES eyepieces ......Personally I'd not pay too much attention to what a competitor has to say. I know its heresy to some but you have to remember Al is running a company for profit he's bot in the game out lf altruism. People have forgotten already that when the ES 14mm 100' launched there was no shortage of people saying it would be rubbish, unacceptable blah blah blah. I can well remember the huge firefights on Boards as people argued that only TV shoukd have the right to make 100' EPs and theres still some of that residual feeling now.

Pretty much similar sentiments were expressed over the 82' range from ES as well....it would be a cheap clone, wouldnt perform etc etc etc. By the way its one heavy lump.

The 25mm ....Personally I wouldnt spend a grand on an EP anyway no matter who made it and from a personal standpoint I wouldnt buy any more 100' EPs period and would unload my 14mm ES if it wouldnt cause a domestic dispute. Just dont really enjoy the views with it all that much and would happily settle at a 60'. Thats just personal taste. I just find 100' not what I like, and that would be true for any 100'.

As regards the new 25mm ...well the astro community does have its stick in the muds who love to slang a new product especially when it seems to contradict an existing manufacturers statements. Dpubtless some will complain, as the do with any EP ( yes even Televue ) that theres too much field curvature, off axis abberation, flase color, pin cushioning, astigamatis, too short an eye relief etc etc and some of these faults will be magnified to the potential user by statements on boards. Half the EPs in my case, more than half probably, have been deemed by some to be unusable. Interesting really, I never knew they were so terrible just by using them myself. Always thought they were good views until I read a few boards and realised I was wrong and that if I just bought a Wakahashiview for £10,0000 the views would exhibit less lateral off axis pincushioning and If I cant see that well I must be registered blind.

:) :)

Regadrding the new ES eyepieces ......Personally I'd not pay too much attention to what a competitor has to say. I know its heresy to some but you have to remember Al is running a company for profit he's bot in the game out lf altruism. People have forgotten already that when the ES 14mm 100' launched there was no shortage of people saying it would be rubbish, unacceptable blah blah blah.

I'm not in the least accusing Tele Vue of doing this because I don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision, but it did cross my mind when it was first mentioned that in many areas of commerce these days it is considered pretty much normal practice to spread FUD about new products produced by competitors if you don't have a comparable offering in your own range. Just like it's common practice to announce something you don't actually have even close to ready to queer the pitch for competitors who have beaten you to the punch with a new product.

I'm in a cynical mood this morning :( I've just had a long discussion with a credit card company about interest payments and I'm left feeling rather dirty.

James

Hi all,

Thank you all for your posts, I just ordered ES 9mm 100 and ES 30mm 82 from Astronomics.com

I'll tell you about them when they arrive.

thanks

Nice one! I don't have any experience with the 9mm but the 30mm is an excellent eyepiece, you will not be disappointed. I look forward to your first light report :-)

Congratulations on your ES eyepiece purchases algady - I hope you enjoy them and look forward to your reports on using them :smiley:

Astrobaby and James,

Televue stated they were not going to go beyond 21mm as the FOV would be degraded. If Ex Sc do make a 25mm monster it will be interesting to see if they stay true to their word on this one.

Alan.

I believe Tele Vues statements on this pre-date the announcement by ES of the 25mm / 100. They were in response to Q's about the future of the Ethos range.

ES clearly feel they can push the Ethos-type optical design beyond 21mm and retain acceptable performance. I believe some early testing has been done so some opinions on theses eyepieces will no doubt emerge soon.

Interesting how the wide ultra-wide eyepiece niche is still being contested / developed by manufacturers and brands. By comparison the more regular field of view but high performance niche seems rather neglected. I guess thats the fault of us consumers getting our priorities wrong :rolleyes2:

Interesting how the wide ultra-wide eyepiece niche is still being contested / developed by manufacturers and brands. By comparison the more regular field of view but high performance niche seems rather neglected. I guess thats the fault of us consumers getting our priorities wrong :rolleyes2:

What about the Delos? We are going to get the full range this year.

Thank you all for your posts, I just ordered ES 9mm 100 and ES 30mm 82 from Astronomics.com

I'll tell you about them when they arrive.

Congrats algady, look forward to your thoughts and experiences with these in your CPC800. That'll be two big boxes headed your way, but you already know that owning the 14 :D

Congrats algady, look forward to your thoughts and experiences with these in your CPC800. That'll be two big boxes headed your way, but you already know that owning the 14 :D

thanks, 14mm 100 is just an amaizing ep.

Archived