Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aikensplace

ianaiken

Well I thought it would be helpful for others eventually to start a thread about my OBS build. So here it is. I am at planing stage currently.

I've established my pier height to be around 50 inches give or take, this will be finalised a little later once I get the kit outside and do some tests to double check horizons. For the OBS itself the current plan is an 8 x 10 ft shed with ROR. My thoughts were to provide a viewing platform 8 x 6 and have 4 ft where I could sit under roof by only rolling the roof off part way. For this orientation, I would only even be able to roll off the roof that far due to space. Max roll off I can achieve is 8ft so I would have to do some rotation of the shed to get it off fully and have so that it rolled along the shortest length. Edit: This makes way more sense when standing next to me to see where I'm pointing.

Do you think an 8 x 6 viewing area is sufficient size (let's say 6x6 as some of that area I am sure will be for storage)? I've kinda got it mocked up in my office but without walls it's hard to say how it feels.

Feel free to ask any questions too as this thread progresses.

Thanks you're right :grin:

I've pressed up against the wall in the office and it is a bit small. Doable, but small. I think I'll go for the whole roof coming off so 8 x 10. TI don't even need a warm room it was a nice to have, all I will have is a PC and monitor on the wall and a shelf with mouse and keyboard and game controller. So this would work out as 8 x 8 with 2 x 8 for storage cupboards / bench etc... That extra foot either side makes a big difference.

A brilliant design of which I would have no idea where to start :shocked: I'm sorted now on sizing, a simple realization that the whole roof didn't have to roll off meant that a nice 8 x 8 ft viewing platform is achieved as well as a storage / work area under a fixed roof.

I'll get some pictures when something happens for real, hopefully it will be soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy days! First bit of work done or the OBS done today. I've now got a nice 8 x 10 base for the shed and pier installed, although the plate is still to go on. The viewing platform is 8 x 8 ft on the right hand side, with a 2 x 8 ft siding to the left. The ROR is 8 x 8 ft with the siding being a sloped fixed roof.

The Shed should be fully done by end of next week including the concrete step which is clearly needed to get.

The cleared area

post-15076-0-80548900-1349273190_thumb.j

Temporary hole cover

post-15076-0-17744500-1349273202_thumb.j

A nice level base

post-15076-0-82117300-1349273163_thumb.j

post-15076-0-33330700-1349273176_thumb.j

Coming on well Ian, good luck with the remaining bits.

I'm dodging rain at the moment trying to finish my 'hole'. The sand, cement and mixer arrive tomorrow so its going to be touch-n-go whether I get the concrete in tomorrow as planned.

Thanks. It's been raining here too but not too heavy and on and off like for you. I think tomorrow should be good so you should have no problem with the concrete. I've got more work on it tomorrow so I hope this is the case.

Good luck I hope you get the concreting done :grin:

Currugated bitumen is difficult to seal in the corrugations. It can be supported on a wooden framework with about a couple of feet between supports.

I used rubber shed roofing from Rubber4Roofs on top of plywood or OSB for support. One sheet for the whole area so no joins, easily to apply and very long lasting. More expensive than felt but so much easier and more durable. Suitable for flat or sloping roofs.

Corrugated B is quite heavy stuff and like all 'like' materials laid over each other capillary action needs to be addressed. I'm using 1 mm ali to cover my RoR which will need joining. The join will either be soldered and folded (crimped), or folded with a liquid metal seal. As 1 mm ali should bend quite easily!

For the roof I opted for ply with felt. Its heavier than I wanted but it doesn't blow away in the wind if not fastened down.

Here is a shot from the front showing the run offs, the door and window and the side extension which keeps the computer, bench and other goodies all yet to be installed. The felt is not finished off yet, and someone went overkill with clouts :laugh:

post-15076-0-42703700-1350318664_thumb.j

Here is a view from the inside showing north. That tree may need a bit trimming :grin:

post-15076-0-82187500-1350318674_thumb.j

Here is the mount

post-15076-0-13726000-1350318918_thumb.j

Here are the scopes and cameras, with the 100 ED sporting the Baader SteelTrack and SteelDrive :cool:

post-15076-0-52081900-1350318930_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

OBS still not finished, it needs a bit trim, some decking out front and some trellis on the sides. I've got all the bits to complete it but you know, now its operational will it ever get done? :grin:

So anyway, I created a short time-lapse from Sat night. It's 3 hours elapsed down to approx 35 seconds.

I know what you mean :) My obsy isn't "quite" finished - fully working and in use when weather permits but there are always those little jobs that aren't essential :D

Haha yes, I will have to though otherwise the wife will have a go at me.

I managed to paint it inside and out, although it needs another coat for the protection. I got the locks fitted and the alarm system installed. It's more secure than the house!

I apologise for not having many build photos but it was actually built at a timber house to my spec and delivered flat pack. Took sometime to install and the roof isn't square, which makes for good entertainment when rolling it off, but its very strong and there is no way that roof is coming off, even if I don't fasten it down. I've also got my weather station installed and calibrated and it works quite well. Humidity is controlled via Dehumidifier which has to run about 10 mins every 90 mins at the moment to maintain ~60 RH and around 10 degrees above ambient. Cooling down takes no more than 30 minutes.

I am toying with the idea of vapour barrier on the walls and some boarding in the future but I Just don't know if that would have any benefit.

post-15076-0-30935000-1352149967_thumb.j

Archived