NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Using a star map

I had a really clear sky last night but instead of using my iphone or iPad apps ( which i,v always used ) i took out my new S and T star book, the smallish one with a ring binder,

What a difference! it was so much better. I found the dumbell nebula, ring nebula and andromeda with no problems.

Now i,m totally converted, no more high tech finders for me, just a star chart and my red torch.

I agree, the S&T atlas is great. I have absolutely no use for apps and software while observing but I always take that little atlas with me. Inexpensive, simple to use, easy to read, accurate. Nice to leaf through too.

All my observing is done by printed charts - laminated to stop them getting soggy - In my opinion it helps me "learn" the sky to find objects that way. However, thats not to say I'll never upgrade to a GOTO system one day.

Sometimes I use the free software Cartes du ciel and print out a chart for the objects I want to view. This software is great because you can flip the view left to right and/or upside down to match whatever you see in your finder scope. You can also overlay your finder scope FOV onto the map to help you navigate /star hop to your target. I use it to learn where new objects (new to me that is) are located then once I’ve got the star pattern in my head then I can navigate to it quite easily. :grin:

I agree on all counts. Using star maps not smartphone apps makes it far more likely that you'll be able to actually see the objects when you find them. A dim red torch is best for reading the map, preserves your night vision better.

The Pocket Sky Atlas is my main reference too when observing, bet clear and easy to use. As a reference when planning, or checking what I've seen, I like the Stephen O' Meara Deep Sky Companions, The Messier Objects. There are several in the series and I find them very useful.

Stu

i found over time ( about 18 months) ive slipped from using stellarium to the star maps. stellarium is still handy and like others say ,you can print off starfields ect. but at first i was in and out the house every five minutes to check stellarium and hardly touched the s&t pocket atlas, but im finding now its reversed. i tend you use the atlas most of the time and occasionally nip in the house to to use the laptop.

Archived