Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Build or buy a dome?

Andreas

Hi!

As I discovered it's very time consuming to set up all equipment I got interested in having a stationary place for my telescope.

After some reading about various constructions I thought that a Roll of Observatory could be a good opinion, until I understood that It wouldn't fit on my garden with the "roof holder",(or what its called).

I do also need a portable observatory so that it's not stuck on one place when I'll move out to study on university, (in about 2 years).

So now, I'm thinking about building a dome, or buy a dome.

Of what I've heard, and calculated by myself, the price between a DIY dome and a bought dome inst very big? Or am I mistaken?

And if not, what is the benefits of DIY domes vs bought domes?

I also wonder of observatories are overall with downsides / benefits - are they a good investment?

The bought observatory I've been looking at: http://scopedome.com/en/scopedome3m.aspx

// Andreas

I have owned a dome before and am now building my second dome twice as big. I reckon this one at 5 metres diameter has cost me just over $5000 AUD so far and looks like another $5000 to finish it. It is very rewarding, building your own, but a very tedious process and you really need to know what you are doing.

Right, I know it's not the answer you are looking for but can you read this thread, it's about RollRon and domes, might be better :(

http://stargazerslou...me-vs-roll-off/

Jim

Hi Jim!

Sadly I don't think the roll of construction is an opinion for me, I don't have the space for it.

Or do you mean something else when you say "RollRon"?

// Andreas

I have owned a dome before and am now building my second dome twice as big. I reckon this one at 5 metres diameter has cost me just over $5000 AUD so far and looks like another $5000 to finish it. It is very rewarding, building your own, but a very tedious process and you really need to know what you are doing.

Hi!

I see, but do you know if it's cheaper to build the dome by myself?

Hi!

I see, but do you know if it's cheaper to build the dome by myself?

As I said, I am building mine by myself and materials alone are costing me around $10000. I also own all my own tools. If you don't have your own tools, these can also cost a lot of money. High speed tools such as grinders and high voltage tools such as welders all require a degree of experience to use as they are very dangerous.

I don't know how much prefabricated domes cost. Google is your friend.

Andreas, I can't help you with your questions, but that dome you linked to looks very interesting - I've not seen that one before.

Hehe.. Yeah it looks great! Its my favourite model so far, but don't hesitate to show me other models if you know any!

Andreas

I bought my dome rather than build it primarily because I knew that I didn't have the time to build it and I didn't have the room anywhere to do the dome build.

There is a middle course that could be taken and that is to buy a pre-fabricated dome but do the walls yourself. Pulsar sells just the dome for example.

With a home-made you can design in the ability of powered rotation and shutter opening (if you feel you need them). With a purchased dome the manufacturers' kits can be quite expensive. Some designs lend themselves better than others for automation. The Pulsar is less good for that than some others but a kit is available and if you look at Youtube you can see one owners DIY setup.

Comparing cost is difficult. I bought my dome at a reduced price as it had been the demonstrator model. I had decided that I would be better with a 2.7m diameter dome and not having to buy at the full new price made that feasible. Here domes sometimes come up for sale 2nd hand but that normally means collecting and perhaps dismantling yourself. Parts of the costs are the same either way i.e. the base, the pier, flooring and the provision of electrics.

I imagine that your winters are more severe than ours so insulation will also need to be considered.

There are books available on the subject and 'Stars at Night' magazined did a series of articles on a home-build dome around 3 years ago. You could possibly order back copies.

Peter

Hello, I built my dome earlier this year and a choose the DIY approach manly because it was much cheaper and I could use the dimensions that i liked.

The hardest part of the build was without hesitation the dome, mine is built all out of plywood and the price was around 3-400 €, I rotate the dome manually (for now).

I did consider the pulsar dome, it looks to have a good finish and I think a bought dome would be a little lighter and easier to move around.

I also have a roll-off obsevatory but the dome is much nicer to look at and use, but harder to build.

http://stargazerslou...outhern-sweden/

Good luck

Ola

Hey, and thanks for all the great answers! I actually got the chance to have a look at a 3m scope dome, and it looked great! However, I'm not sure if I can afford one at the moment, so I think I'll wait for now.

But, I'm thinking of building a pillar for my NEQ6 head so that I don't have to move out my mount every time.

And if I decide to buy a dome in the future, I can still use the pillar if I place the dome over it!

So.. are those pillars easy to build, and about how much do they cost?

// Andreas

Yes, I too bought cement and ballast from Wickes for the pier/pillar and it's base - plus foundations to support the "shed" as it's affectionately known :) I used a cardboard postage tube to form a mold for my pier but something like 8" plastic pipe or metal air ducting would be better. I got rebar from a local builders merchant.

I had a local welder makea pier for me out of 200mm diameter steel pipe welded shut at the top and onto a square plate at the bottom. The bottom plate was drilled to fit onto stainless bolts in the concrete base. The top was drilled and tapped with 3 holes for an adapter to take Losmandy mounts. The pier was powder coated to keep it from rusting. The reason I didn't go for a cast concrete pier was because I wanted to be able to remove it easily for whenever I move or retire from astronomy.

Archived