Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arduino Based Weather Station

Gina

2 minutes ago, tekkydave said:

Reinstall Arduino IDE? Clutching at straws now I'm afraid.

What! On all three computers??

Edited by Gina

All three computers have been used to upload sketches to Arduinos, Nano, Mega and Uno.  The Dell Satellite laptop running Linux Mint is what I use to update Marlin in my 3D printers.  Moon dial clock Nano has been updated quite recently without any problem from my Linux Mint desktop.  I usually know what I'm doing!  OK I can go on making more prints but I would really like to check out the direction sensor chip for my wind vane.

9 minutes ago, Gina said:

What! On all three computers??

I did say I was clutching at Straws :D

I doesn't make sense as you have swapped around all the main components; arduino, cable and PC/laptop (including IDE). Must be something else but IBIIK what.

Edited by tekkydave
  • Thanks 1

Downloaded latest version of Arduino IDE - v1.8.5 and ran the install.sh script.  Been re-arranging the directories and after much experimentation the sketch compiles.  Still the same problem uploading though :(  Previous version was 1.6.4.

54 minutes ago, angryowl said:

I would try doing a loopback test as the next troubleshooting step.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=73748.0

Tried that with an old Nano and got no text back but this board may be duff anyway.  I could add pins to one of the new Nanos and try that.  (Or solder links on.)  I don't want pins on the board I'm using for the wind sensors - just the plain Nano board with wires connected to the solder pads.  Gnd, +5v, 3 wires to the direction chip and 1 to the anemometer (plus Gnd & +5v).

Edited by Gina

The anemometer Hall sensor will connect to D2, one of the interrupt pins and I'm planning to use interrupts to count the turns of the anemometer (using the falling edge of the waveform).  Highest interrupt is calculated with a 100mph wind (which I hope we will never get!) with a 100Hz frequency ie. 10ms between interrupts which I reckon the Arduino should be well able to cope with.  Earlier version of the weather station used a 1-wire counter chip but a direct connection to the Nano is simpler and the 1-wire counter chip was discontinued several years ago.

In SPI mode you don't need the MISO connection through the FET and R2 as shown in this diagram from the datasheet. Only MOSI is needed as a direct connection to a digital pin and of course the SCK and SS to have their own separate digital pins on the Arduino. So you can wire it as illustrated in the below diagram with the exception of the MISO connection and associated external components. HTH

spi.PNG.8e3f513f129e9b7ca2d7ef909b574d1b.PNG

• Thanks 1

Alternatively, if you can't read the sensor after having wired it as in the above diagram you could give this a go. This uses both MOSI and MISO and replaces the FET with a transistor but requires a bit more coding to get it running. I can't guarantee this works as I haven't tried it but if you've no luck using the first diagram it might be worth a shot.

• Thanks 1