Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Arduino Based Weather Station

Gina

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I've decided against having the wind instruments on the same mast as the ASC due to the possibility of the extra windage upsetting the ASC image.   Anyway, I'd like to keep the two projects separate.  I have another mast position on the south side of the warm room that I initially used for the ASC.

• 5 months later...

I plan to convert this to a Raspberry Pi based weather station.  I want to use WiFi to avoid cables (which get eaten be rats!).  OK I know it will want power but I can probable protect that in conduit and an aluminium pipe that will form the mast for the wind instruments.

The usual problem of where to put the sensors arises.  The wind instruments want to be in an area relatively clear of wind obstructions but the ideal position would obstruct my astro imaging and that is top priority!  I don't think all the various sensors need to be close together - I could collect the data indoors, if I can work out a suitable method.

The outdoor temperature and humidity sensor(s) can be in a Stevenson Screen mounted on the north wall of the observatory.  Atmospheric pressure could be either indoors or outdoors in the Stevenson Screen.  Rain gauge wants to be in a relatively clear area and not sheltered when the wind blows.  Most difficult are the wind speed and direction instruments, as mentioned above.  In the past these and associated mast have spoilt many of my astro images and I don't want that happening again.