Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

qhy10 ccd camera help

leehousden

hello can anyone out there please please help i have had my qhy10 coulor ccd camera for 6 months now an still have not got an image to prosses in fact ive almost given up and have now gone back to using my 450d witch i get lovley results every time does anyone use this camera im using ezcap to capture my images im using my ccd on skywatcher 80 mm apo i tryed to image the cresent nebula the other night and done 10 6 minuite exposures stacked them and got such faint nebula i could do nothing with now with my 450d after 6 mins i get great results my gain is set to 8 and my offset is 119 what am i doing wrong i though this ccd would be more senstive than my canon i just can not get this ccd to work for me its so frustrating wasting so much time and getting nowhere please can anyone help i just dont no what else to do thanyou for taking the time to read about my problem look forward to any advise regards lee housden

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lee,

The silence is deafening on this one ! Have you got the only one in the country ?

I've never used a OSC or any QHY so read on at your peril :)

One thing of note is that the QHY10 is known for not being particularly sensitive. Another factor is that many use a high ISO on their DSLRs and this leads them into false expectations. What I would do is download a trial ( if available ) for Image plus or Nebulosity. Raise the gain and offset. Test raising the gain to 15 then 20 and see how it goes. There is a proper way of doing this but just try it for now. Do much longer exposures say 10 / 15 minutes and again see what happens.

If memory serves just do proper flats and darks and no bad pixel maps.

Then you calibrate, debayer, align and stack.

Other than that, I know nothing :)

Dave.

I don't have a QHY10, neither have I ever used one - Sorry - but here's my thoughts.

I started off with a DSLR and was always impressed with what came out of it. I then went to a mono CCD and the sensitivity of that was something else. I thought I'd get a secondhand OSC. thinking that it would have the sensitivity of the mono CCD and the convenience of the DSLR - How wrong was I. I hated it and I've not bothered with it since.

I was surprised at the lack of sensitivity. The DSLR always had colour coming through nicely, this was a fight to get any colour and also, the processing and debayering was just like witchcraft. So, while I can not help with your specific setup, I can certainly get where you are coming from. My high hopes were dashed with a OSC. although some people get on with them very well.

Now if you went for a mono, I bet you'd love it!!

It uses the same chip as the Starlight Xpress SXVR-M26C, so I doubt that sensitivity will be an issue.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=2776

What program are you using to stack? If it is DSS, then you will have to align the RGB channels, and tweak the mid-tone slider to bring out the image. The data will be in there, and you will be amazed at the lack of noise and sensitivity compared to a DSLR (I made the same change from an un-modded DSLR to a QHY8L).

Don't panic :)

You've got it now and looking round there are quite a few really nice images out there. First thing I would recommend is sussing out the gain and offset. It doesn't have to be trial and error and there are many posts on the net about it.

One thing not mentioned so far is that it's a 16 bit camera so should eventually prove better than 12 or 14.

I looked up the price of the image plus software. I took some heart pills and am ok now. There are quite a few Nebulosity users around and it has a good reputation.

DSS is inclined to upset people when they spend all night collecting data and end up with a flat colourless image. One way round it is to NOT let it align RGB channels and do the work yourself in post processing. You can also play around with the background calibration settings. It only does what you tell it !

From what I've seen, these cameras seem best suited to reasonably bright subjects. More is better. More subs, more time and more signal.

Dave.

i no i must sound thick where can i find my drop box folder

Use google and search for drop box. It's a cloud based file server with 2-3 Gb of free space. Install it and it will create a fold on your had rive. Any file you put in the folder will by synced to the drop box cloud. Then using the drop box web browser find your file and copy the URL to the clipboard. Then post the URL here so that Zakalwe and others can download it and analyse your problem...

Archived